REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing...Some clarifications please THANX!

Jeffrey Clough jclough at gci.net
Sun Apr 9 03:07:06 CDT 2006


Does this apply to ALL velocitys or just the heavier XLs?

Dave Dent wrote:

>When you tighten the large nut under the fork make sure you are not just 
>tightening the spacer in the bevel washers.What??  If you still have the thin 
>washers get rid of them.Thin bellevilles? How can I tell? The new thicker washers need no spacer. Also make 
>sure you have no threads showing in your fork bushing.  If you have too many 
>threads on the end of your strut you will have threads transfered into the 
>bushing.  Now you no longer have a bushing to pivot on  but a jack screw 
>that only wants to go up and down not around the shaft.  So doing only 
>allowing the tire to try and twist inside the fork.  So doing giving you a 
>shake like you may never forget or till you change out your strut.
>
>Also make sure you have the heavier fork.How do I tell?  If you have the light weight fork 
>and you have had major shimmy you more then likely have cracked it.  Also 
>check and see that the upper pivot bolt has not been bent.  Believe me it 
>may be a grade eight bolt, it can bend and it will.  Also if you have a 
>Matco wheel check to see if the 5/8" shaft through the wheel has not been 
>bent.  Also if you have not installed the upper new pivot bushing supports 
>do this.How can I tell the difference between the old and the newer bushings?
>
>Since I had my first shimmy problems I started trouble shooting nose gear 
>problems.  What I have told you to check I made the changes.   Including a 
>new strut, with less threads...so if I have threads in the bushing area after appropriate tightening of the large nut attaching the fork to the strut, I need a new strut? Or a change in the washers above the fork? and changing the very weak Matco wheel to a 
>Cleveland type.  Much stronger all the way around.  I also removed all 
>threads that extended below the fork nut after tightening to the 15lbs 
>required.  I also cut 1/8" from off the face of the nut.Ground off?  The reason for 
>this was to move it further away of the top of the 6 ply tire.  If this is 
>not done you will shave the top off on the first two or three landings.
>
>Check all the above and if all done I would be checking the torque on the 
>nut more often.  I check the nose fork pivot before each flight.  I hope 
>this helps your and others.  I have had no problems with my  nose gear since 
>I did all the above.
>
>----- Original Message ----- 
>From: "RICHARD J VANDERSTEEN" <rvandersteen at sbcglobal.net>
>To: "Velocity Aicraft Owners and Builder list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 8:49 PM
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing
>
>
>  
>
>>Any advice on what to check after a shimmy event on
>>landing an XL-RG.
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>  
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list