REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Spring

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sat Apr 1 17:15:13 CST 2006


I second Ron's advice.  There is a reason that a Stoll kit is not an
option for the Velocity.  The Velocity was designed to go fast, but the
compromise is it lands the same way.  We don't fly the Velocity to land
on sand bars in Alaska for fishing.  So, based on experience and weather
conditions, pick appropriate length runways and you'll be a happy
camper, er, pilot.   

Thanks,
Chuck Jensen
Diversified Technologies
2680 Westcott Blvd
Knoxville, TN  37931
Phn:     865-539-9000 x25
Cell:     865-406-9001
Fax:     865-539-9001
cjensen at dts9000.com
 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Spring

Be careful about going too slow on final.

If you get a sudden change in head wind, like you have a 10 kt head wind
on 
final, and it suddenly goes to 5 knots and you're right on the pitch
buck, 
you'll find yourself making a hard, nose first landing.

Been there, done that!!!  Do like Jack says, find longer runways, and
come 
over the numbers at 80 kts, get down to the runway, then let the speed
bleed 
as you touch down.

I have figured out it is better to go off the far end of the runway
going 
slow, than to hit hard while going 65 knots at the near end of the
runway!

Y'all have fun at Sun-n-Fun!!!!!

Ronnie

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Spring


> Jack,
> Interesting comment about the oscillation.  With 2 up front I get a
mild 
> oscillation on approach if I am at 70 kn.  Just assumed it was a mild 
> stall.  It goes away in ground effect.  I haven't had the chance to
check 
> this since I reversed the strainer.  Guess I'll think some more before

> altering the spring.
> John
>
> J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov wrote:
>
>> I had cut down the spring to about a 3/4 inch width and added some 
>> carbon. that did not work too well the carbon seperated from the
glass 
>> and the spring was way too little. During approach for landing it was

>> easy to get into a nose oscillation with your hand on the stick you 
>> became part of the oscillation. I replaced it with a standard factory

>> spring and am very happy. The aircraft will trim very nicely and stay

>> where you want it. I had the strainer on and off and see very little 
>> effect. I fly at cruise with about 1/4 inch up elevator. No vg's or 
>> vortillons. The airplane does very well but for the most part I fly
to 
>> good runways where I am comfortable with 80-85 kt touchdown speeds.
>> Jack
>> N55XL
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list