REFLECTOR: Velocity - Seats & Crash Survivability

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sat Sep 24 08:30:39 CDT 2005


Just a few observations and thoughts regarding the SQ fatal crash and how 
this relates to our seats.
*    The Velocity seat back is not structural (at least from the standpoint 
of crash protection).  As you all know, the seat belt anchor points are not 
connected to the seat, but rather to the floor and the sides of the keel and 
fuselage.
*    Fortunately/unfortunately there have been several Velocity forced and 
emergency landings that confirm the seat belt mounting points are strong 
when installed according to "the book".
*    From what I can see and understand, the SQ hit the ground with 
relatively no forward speed and a nose high attitude.  I agree with others 
who have shared similar opinions ... the seat back is not designed to 
withstand rearward forces.  Even though the XL has the nickname "Bubba" ... 
I coach real live "big Bubba's" to be careful not to push their body weight 
backwards when entering the XL because the seat back can break.  This area 
of the seat design could stand some improvement.
*    Velocity has been working with the engineering team at BRS.  A lot of 
thought and study is going into the crashworthiness of the Velocity.  To 
their credit, BRS is not just interested in seeing a pretty parachute - they 
want to be reasonably assured that those on board will survive a crash - 
which is the "prime directive" of the BRS organization.  In other words, 
what good is a parachute if the occupants don't live to celebrate the 
whatever "Oh sh_t ... I'm done for" situation they happen to be in?  To this 
end, the BRS and Velocity have been looking at the landing gear, seat 
supports, seats, and restraining belts with respects to dissipating energy 
(someone else mentioned this in an earlier note) ... which is paramount to 
surviving a crash.  Big tires = good; fiberglass gear that bends a lot and 
then breaks = good; seat supports that bend = good; seat foam that supports, 
but yet gives under pressure = good.  I'm not saying that Velocity has the 
best design in these areas - however there are some favorable (safe) design 
elements already in place.
*    I really like Fred Marconi's comment and recommendation for the air-bag 
seat belts.  Like car air bags, they only deploy once and only offer 
protection in the forward direction.  I'll take that!
*    Several builders have installed 4-point seat belts for the pilot and 
co-pilot.  I think this is a good idea, especially the inertia-reel type 
with the shoulder restraint hardpoints that mount overhead (either on the 
carbon beam or directly behind the beam - this requires installing a metal 
plate in the roof).
Scott B.



----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Fred Marconi" <fmarconi at bellsouth.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident report - SQ2000


> Most fatalities occur as a result of head injuries, we need to loon at
> safety belts with airbags included in the safety belts.  I posted
> information on this and no one responded.  Interesting.  We can use the
> factory seats and airbag safety belts and achieve more, I think.
>
> If any one is interested in the information let me know.
>
> Fred




More information about the Reflector mailing list