REFLECTOR: Arm pit scoops

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 20:43:21 CDT 2005


That was fine on the EZ's they were up draft engines.  This is a down draft 
engine.  I had no problem at all with the up draft.  I had two oil coolers 
as well.  One in the back of the engine and one on the side.  Oil temp is 
not my issue.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Richard Riley" <richard at riley.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>; 
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Arm pit scoops


> The Berkuts 540's all have armpit scoops, and a small belly scoop.  Cyl 
> head temps haven't been a problem, it's been oil temps.  Those with 2 oil 
> coolers - one in the engine compartment, one in the back seat with a naca 
> scoop - have been fine.  With one cooler in the back it's been iffy.
>
>
>
> At 05:59 PM 9/10/05, Dave Dent wrote:
>
>>Do any of you have the arm pit scoop cooling on your XL with the IO-540? 
>>I don't want to reinvent the wheel so I am asking if any of you mastered 
>>the number five and six cylinder cooling issue that goes with this type of 
>>setup?
>>I have done fancy things like I did on the EZ's with kickers and rap 
>>around baffling but to no avail.  So could I get some input from those 
>>that have had some time on theirs that have got these cylinders down?
>>
>>I can't seem to drop it below the 435 level in flight.  Especially on 
>>number six.  So I'm leaning according to the CHT instead of EGT.  Making 
>>me burn in the 14+ gpm.  These real hot days has not helped any.
>>
>><mailto:davedent at comcast.net>davedent at comcast.net
>>N32XL
>>XL/RG
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>No virus found in this incoming message.
>>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
>>Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.21/96 - Release Date: 9/10/05
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.10.21/96 - Release Date: 9/10/05
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 





More information about the Reflector mailing list