REFLECTOR: Molding a P-51 Scoop

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 17:19:08 CDT 2005


Scott, 
 
I made a P-51 style scoop for my lower radiator. Then I decided I didnt like the way it looked nor did I like the amount of disruption it would cause the flow to the prop. I then build a NACA on the bottom. 
I can measure the scoop I made if you like (I still have it), Seems like your dimensions are pretty big. Depending on your design, there may be alternatives. Bill Mulrooney made a pretty sleek and efficient scoop for his V-8 Velocity for his lower radiator. I would guess it isn't much bigger than an average intercooler would be. 
 
How I made mine:  draw a to-scale drawing of the side view of the scoop you want (ratios and slants, etc). 
Then transfer that to 2 pieces of tempered masonite (or like material). Cut them out. 
 
Get or make a foam blank bigger than what you need. Then attach the masonite templates to the sides with long screws. 
 
Make a hot wire cutter or you can use the one I made.. if it is big enough). Hot cut the foam. (note, I cut mine a little wider than I wanted.. so that I could round the edges and still have the right width). 
 
Sand down the foam blank until you're happy. Then glass the sucker. 
 
Once cured, remove the foam (a few ways to do this:  auger it out.. or pour gas on it and the foam will disolve...... don't breath too deep when you do this). 
 
finish sand... and make attach flanges. 
 
Or... if the one I made is big enough.. you can have it.  
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:56:38 -0600
Subject: REFLECTOR: Molding a P-51 Scoop


I need to make a P-51 style scoop for my intercooler. 
 
It needs to have a 3 inch x 22 inch opening. 
 
Roughly rectangular, this would be mounted on the belly right at the firewall. 
 
What would be the best way to go about this? Carve one out of foam? 
 
Any ideas are appreciated. 
 
Scott 
 
_______________________________________________ 
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
 
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050904/c4a2eb27/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list