REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.

AnnSam annsam1 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 4 15:43:36 CDT 2005


Flared With an fittings, directly attached to the oil cooler up front and
terminated at the engine side of the firewall near the duct with fittings to
accept the outlet and inlet oil hoses from the engine.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:06 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.


How are the copper lines terminated?

Flared with AN fittings like you would do with aluminum? or  soldered
fittings?

Scott

AnnSam wrote:

>I use both lines tied together at both ends. They both run down the same
>duct but there is a hard rubber sleeve over each to keep down heat
transfer.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:18 PM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.
>
>
>Are you using both lines for ground or just one.
>
>I hadn't thought about using copper lines,  per Al's numbers that would
>provide over 1/2 again the conducting capability over aluminum.
>
>I will try to find the burst pressure for soft copper tube..
>
>Scott
>
>
>AnnSam wrote:
>
>
>
>>My plane was completed in the end of 93 and I ran 2, 1/2 inch copper lines
>>which have been used as my ground conductor as well as the oil cooler
>>
>>
>lines.
>
>
>>My plus line is a #2 conductor
>>and I've never had any starting problems.
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>>Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>>Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:04 AM
>>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>Subject: REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.
>>
>>
>>My plane came with high pressure hoses for oil lines. Both ran in the
>>pilot side duct.  I noticed that the manual calls for 1/2 " aluminum
>>lines.   I was considering replacing the high pressure rubber/steel flex
>>lines with aluminum.  Much lighter and smaller, those hydraulic lines
>>are huge and heavy.
>>
>>I was also considering running one up the pilot side and the other down
>>the copilot side to take advantage of the additional cooling benefits.
>>Has anybody done the comparison of running both in one duct and one in
>>each to see if there really is an advantage?
>>
>>Then I got to thinking about using the oil lines for my ground return
>>path from the battery to the engine?  Aluminum is a pretty good
>>conductor, and having two lines would seem to provide a substantial
>>return path if I bonded both tubes at both ends?
>>
>>Anybody do this?
>>
>>Scott
>>




More information about the Reflector mailing list