REFLECTOR: Automotive / aviation ignition harness

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Sun Oct 23 13:46:55 CDT 2005


I've always used the spiral wound high performance automotive plug wires 
(connected to automotive plugs) and had no ignition noise at all.  The 
spiral winding seems to choke the noise.  From all I've heard, they last 
a lot longer than aircraft wires too.
Been good to me ... Jim S.

Brian Michalk wrote:

> Thanks.
> I was browsing AS&S last night.  They sell the adapters.  They also 
> sell the braided shielding you can slip over your plug wires.
>
> wurzel at alumni.caltech.edu wrote:
>
>>> The nice thing about auto plugs is that I can experiment with the heat
>>> ratings.  I'd have to install the 14mm to whatever adapter.
>>>
>>> The nice thing about aviation plugs ... well they fit the hole.  I'll
>>> then have to make hybrid auto/aviation wires.
>>
>>
>>
>> After my second magneto failure, I installed a Lightspeed
>> Plasma II in place of one mag on my Franklin.  It has a similar
>> wasted spark system, and uses some long-reach auto (actually,
>> seem like motorcycle) plugs.
>>
>> Klaus supplied the spark plug adapters with the kit, so if you
>> want to try that route and don't have another source, he might
>> sell some to you as long as you don't mention that you didn't
>> buy his ignition.  ;-)
>>
>> As far as the performance, I haven't noticed a major difference
>> between the auto plugs and the Champion Iridiums that are on
>> the remaining mag, but I only have about 30 hours on the system
>> so far.  I was also somewhat concerned about interference from using
>> unshielded wire and having big loops, but I just made sure to
>> run my wires very close together in pairs until they get
>> all the way to the engine block, then run them to the
>> specified cylinder.  I was hoping to minimize the "loop area"
>> so it would be as small of an antenna as possible.
>>
>> Again, only 30 hours on the system but I haven't noticed any negative
>> effects on my radios or other electronics.
>>
>> I was also thinking of "roll-your-own" shielding by wrapping aluminum
>> tape around the wires Klaus supplied....  :-)
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list