REFLECTOR: NACA scoops
gattenby at GBRonline.com
gattenby at GBRonline.com
Wed Oct 19 21:51:58 CDT 2005
Andy,
The updraft system used the "armpit" scoops.
It was used on the oldest versions. It went out of favor
before the
XL came out, and before the "standard" became the "elite".
All of the online manuels are the latest revsions. If you
have an older kit without the newer parts they don't help
much.
Most of the guys who built planes with armpit scoops are no
longer following the reflector. I not sure the factory
still has the plans
for the old scoops, but it's fairly likely that they do.
If they've
got them it's likly that they would send them to you for
little to nothing. (they are a good bunch of folks, and they
are still in the mode of the more velocitys we can get
flying the more we can sell!)
You can ask the "reflector" in general, but you will get a
dozen differnt answers.
I just ask for a simple measerment. (2 inches) and got
almost a dozen replies. From the 2 inches to a discorse on
calculating airflow through a radiator.
Good luck and happy building
Noel
----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Andrew Ellzey" <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list"
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA scoops
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:50:51 -0500
> Noel,
>
> I have purchased a new kit that has the NACA scoops and
> will probably install them on the bottom of my aircraft.
> I have purchased a IO-540E1A5 engine, which is a up draft
> engine. Before Brendan left, he told me that there should
> be room to install the NACA scoops on the bottom of my
> aircraft almost identical to the position that they are
> on the top. Even though this is my plan, I would like to
> read and look at the instructions for the arm pit scoops
> to decide which would be best. Can you tell me which
> section of the manual and which model of Velocity the arm
> pits scoops were standard equipment?
>
> Andy Ellzey
> XL-RG
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> <reflector at tvbf.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:35
> PM Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: NACA scoops
>
>
> > Noel,
> >
> > I would advise getting the pre-molded "runner" expansion
> > ducts that will attach to the back of the scoops. That
> > way you will know exactly the size and shape you are
> > aiming for. I didn't do this on my XL, and today I was
> working on filling the transition to provide for smooth
> > airflow (which is pretty critical in the throat of the
> > NACA scoops). My kit came with the old
> > armpit scoops, so I had to cut the roof to create the
> > NACA scoops, too. Don't actually attach the "runners" to
> > the scoop at the firewall until you can fit them to the
> engine plenum. >
> > Keith Hallsten
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> > [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of
> > gattenby at gbronline.com Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005
> > 8:02 PM To: reflector at tvbf.org
> > Subject: REFLECTOR: NACA scoops
> >
> > On an downdraft standard fusalage, how deep are the
> > NACA's? I've got cut lines drawn on the top, but I can't
> > find instructions on how deep do I make them drop down.
> > My kit it old enough that I didn't get the premolded
> > inserts.
> >
> > Noel
> > 3SUV103
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list