REFLECTOR: NACA scoops

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 19 12:28:54 CDT 2005


Thanks Al, but as you know numbers and reality dont always agree (on both 
sides of the equation).  There are 3 velocities that I know of the radiator 
area/HP/inlet area numbers for. None of those seem to agree with your equation as 
they do cool fine. The only thing they are not using is NACA scoops. 

My upper left NACA is 11. x 2".  
The lower NACA to the second radiator is 11.5 x 2.375. This scoop acts more 
like a ram scoop in climb than a NACA, then whe you roll over to cruise... acts 
more like a NACA. 

Also left out of the equation is my blower assisted boost cooler in the nose. 
 
This is 6 x 8 and has a force feed full plenum blower that feeds it. It is 
then ducted outside (or into the cabin if you need heat & defroster). 

Since I plan on not running my engine above 5000PRM (325HP), and I am almost 
never below 6000'-DA, the theoretical numbers get closer to my application. 
I'm crossing my fingers :) 

I have also done some Indy car research, and they do not use those numbers 
either. As you know they run hard.. fast.. hot.. and have limited space to deal 
with. 

But.... we shall see.  That is the only thing you can then claim is an 
absolute. I appreciate the brain excercise and, as always, your input. 

How is your beast coming?


Kurt 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051019/3919076a/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list