REFLECTOR: Leaking sump float switch

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 10 11:32:01 CDT 2005


Chuck,

The sensor head is similar to the Westach I have - sticks up about 3/4" above the mounting base.  I may just redo the mounting base - i.e.. recess it about 3/4" to a 1" so I can raise the tank up off the floor.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Chuck Jensen 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 9:39 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Leaking sump float switch


              For continuous readout-any length, any depth, another solution is the Centroid Skyprobe.  They will manufacture to any length and the electronic guts are in the head and output 0-5v.  They plug right into the Grand Rapids, and probably any 0-5v indicator.  A little pricey at $95/ea, but seem to be fool-proof, which is why they worked for me. http://www.centroidproducts.com/tableofc.htm

   

              Chuck

   

  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Alex Balic
  Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 12:09 AM
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Leaking sump float switch

   

  Gems sells a solid state unit that uses light dispersion to tell if there is fuel at the sensor- you can get normally open or normally closed types -  no moving parts and it will screw in as a direct replacement for the float type switches. In my former life as a manufacturing engineer- we went through several plants  on equipment re-design replacing float types with the non- contact types- the floats were leaking and sinking and causing all kinds of problems as a result.

   

  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Jim Sower
  Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 2:40 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leaking sump float switch

   

  If I had it to do over (which may very well develop) I would dispense with the float switch (more of that 1920s technology) and install one of the many solid state sensors available like those used for the low fuel warning lights on our dash boards.  If I thought it important to know how far into my sump fuel I am, I might mount several of these sensors "on a stick" and have them drive ladder lights on the panel.  
  Arguably cheaper than float switch, certainly safer and more reliable ... Jim S.

  wurzel at alumni.caltech.edu wrote: 

So, I started noticing blue dye down the side of (and on thefloor right underneath) the sump tank.  Turns out fuel isleaking either through or around the float switch.  D'oh,the one-day annual condition inspection morphs itselfinto a full-on project. Unfortunately, my float switch isn't screwed into a hard pointas seems to be the standard these days.  I'm not sure ifRick L rolled his own low fuel sensor, or if Velocityused to recommend just glassing the switch directly intothe side of the tank, but in any event it is, in fact, justglassed right into the side and providing a lovely 100LLaroma to my cabin. So, I'd like to convert this to a threaded installation. 1) Any ideas on the easiest way to do this?  My currentthought is to remove the current switch while taking aslittle of the surrounding material off as possible.  Then,sand the outside of the sump tank so it's flat in the areawhere the switch was.  Next, coat the hard point and the tankwith epoxy and press them together... finally put some glassover the outside of the hard point as well (making sure not toget any in the threads!) 2) What do I need to know about fuel and epoxy?  Is there aparticular epoxy I need to use for this application?  Flox?Micro?  Do I have to put some kind of sealant on the insideafter the epoxy has cured to prevent leaks or deterioration?I saw some comments in old posts on using a shop vac to draw avacuum and suck the epoxy in around things, and that soundslike a good idea as long as I'm using the right epoxy and itdoesn't dissolve as soon as the fuel hits it.  :-) Thanks in advance for the help! _______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html    

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051010/cd48707d/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list