REFLECTOR: Re: Electric

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 10:36:25 CST 2005


Scott, 
 
You may also want to read the Q&A part of AeroElectric.com    There are lots of good clarifications and information on things that don't quite fit the mold. 
 
Let me know if you need a hand.    Kurt 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:41:26 -0700
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Re: Electric


Kurt, 
 
Your battery setup sounds like it meets the KISS design principle in spades. I like it. My gyros are vacume driven, sigh.... Since they also drive my autopilot changing to all electric would be mucho $$$, though Century just announced they now are selling electric gyros that will interface to their autopilots. Wonder what their price's are? 
 
I will get out my Aeroelectric Connection again and reread that section again.  
Heading for the airport in a hour or so, its 12 degrees outside but warming up fast.  
Thanks for the help offer, if the usual allotment of airport bums(spare muscle) falls off I made take you up on that! 
 
Scott 
 
NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote: 
 
> Scott, 
> > I definately need to get up there and take a look. Aren't we a strange > lot that enjoys retrofit or plans-departure hell?.. Oh well.. I enjoy > it as well. 
> > I had origonally planned on using a charging splitter and only running > one battery at a time. Then I re-read all of the Bob K stuff. Looking > at his reasoning (and trusting his experience) I changed plans to a > blend of his suggestions and what fits my airplane. 
> > I am running both batteries in the nose, with seperate contactors and > switches for each one. 
> The switched side of the contactors are hooked together and supply > power to all of my forward systems and essential buss. The 2G wire > that runs through the conduit also connects there. Like I said, I can > run either or both batteries (or shut them both off if I have to). > > The 2G comes out the back of the conduit and runs straight to the > starter solenoid lug (Chevy type starter). That is where my aft power > buss suppply is as well as the attachment for the Alternator. (I do > have a fuseable link in that line and a pullable field breaker for > safety). 
> > So, to answer your question, If one battery is off line, it is > isolated from everything _including _the charging system. According to > Bob K, the only reason you need to shut off a battery is for power > conservation should you lose an alternator (after you load shed to > critical power items only). Normal mode is both batteries ON. Since I > have 2 voltmeters and an ammeter, I should know immediately if > anything goes amiss with the charging/battery systems. 
> > I consider 2 working batteries and a charging system as part of my MEL > since everything in the airplane is electric ( 2-electric fuel pumps, > 2 MSD ignitions, and electric gyros). 
> > If you need a hand moving your project, let me know. My schedule is as > hosed as ever, but I do have some open time. 
> > > Kurt 
> 
>------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
> 
>_______________________________________________ 
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
> 
_______________________________________________ 
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
 
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051128/51f288a3/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list