Reflector: EZ-Poxy Hardener

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 16 09:27:45 CST 2005


Of course switching to MGS would solve the problem.  MGS wets out a 
whole lot better too.

Phil Hooper wrote:

>Jorge, this is a continuing problem for me, partly because I'm a slow
>builder.  Last night I had to clean up the dad-gum pump because I couldn't
>get it to flow, even when wiring the spout.  What a mess!  Every time I open
>my storage cabinet I smell styrene, which the factory says is OK.  When you
>don't smell it no more, don't use it.  I found that a heat lamp or hot water
>in the sink dissolves the crystals.  I'm going to Spruce this morning to buy
>a jug of hardener in a metal can, keeping the lid tight (the styrene leaches
>out through the porous plastic bottles from the factory) and then only
>having a small quantity in the pump.  I'm also going to try to weather seal
>the door of the hot box to slow the process, probably to no avail.  Your
>unopened bottles should probably be OK, happened to me too, just heat them
>up.  If you smell styrene, they likely are OK.  Someone has said you can
>thin the goo with denatured alcohol, but Brendan (rest his employee soul)
>said no.
>
>Blessings
>
>Phil
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Jorge Bujanda
>Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 6:16 AM
>To: Velocity Builder's Forum. Reflector
>Subject: Reflector: EZ-Poxy Hardener
>
>I've noticed that the EZ-Poxy hardener becomes grumous at the bottom of 
>the container in the pump, even though the inside of the epoxy box 
>maintains between 80 (night) and 90 (day) degrees.  These grumes tend to 
>dissolve with increased temperature and specially with stirring.  The 
>problem is, I need to unclog the pump, and go through the 
>heating/stirring process almost every day.  I have kept two unopened 
>bottles inside the house since I got them with the kit and found they 
>were in the same condition.
> 
>If I expose the bottles to early morning sun to dissolve, will this 
>damage the hardener?   Is the hardener already bad and what is the 
>cause?   If I get rid of it, how do I keep this from happening to the 
>new one?
>
>I welcome your comments.  Thanks
>
>Regards,
>  Jorge Bujanda
>  XL FG (under construction)
>  Palmdale, CA
>
>"Make your best case... not the best case."
>"Spare the noise... convince through silence."
>
>Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>  
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list