REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Wed Nov 16 07:22:07 CST 2005


 I have avoided retractable gear  and I have no clue.
On my nose gear strut there is a piece of pipe  welded  at right angles  to 
the main strut. It creates a "t" shape.

Structurally speaking the whole strut should be a straight piece of pipe. 
The bends serve to concentrate stresses  especially where the bend turns up 
into the fuselage.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings


>I don't understand where the "ears" are.  Maybe that's because mine is RG. 
>Can I do
> this with an RG?
>
> John
>
> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Mine is an old top loader FG. I have a large piece of aluminum channel 
>> that
>> supports the "ears" on the gear leg. I made a new one with relocated 
>> holes
>> for the "ears". Some one at the factory disagreed with me about my 
>> approach
>> (something about gyroscopic forces) but for me it works fine. Now I don't
>> have to have a nearly untenable nose gear.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:17 PM
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings
>>
>> > How did you change the caster angle?
>> >
>> > John
>> >
>> > Wayne wrote:
>> >
>> >> I molded a large bowl of lead into the front of my nosewheel pant/.It
>> >> changed the shimmy from high frequency to a very low frequency.
>> >> Revising the caster angle on my nose gear finally fixed the shimmy
>> >> tendency.
>> >> It shimmied more often when the front was heavily loaded.  I changed 
>> >> the
>> >> caster angle so with two large folks up front  the caster was near 
>> >> zero
>> >> and
>> >> slightly negative when  lightly loaded.
>> >> At the same time I installed a nose wheel lock  but have never needed 
>> >> it.
>> >> Wayne
>> >> -
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit
>> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> >
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list