REFLECTOR: Painting; HVLP

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Nov 16 00:47:19 CST 2005


Not to bore you further with my painting project; but I need to retract my
negative remarks about the Apollo HVLP gun.  The negative remarks should
have been directed at the company Sales/Tech support guy; who gave me
repeated by advice.  The Apollo company is located about 15 minutes from
here, so before I started the job I went by to get a spare paint cup, a
pressure regulator for the gun handle (I have a long hose the regulator at
the compressor), and review my setup and job with the tech support guy for
any useful tips.  He was rather emphatic about the cap pressure not needing
to be above 5 psi for any solvent based paints.

 

Later when I was having problems and I called him, he suggested that I
reduce to pressure since the viscosity was so low. I pointed out that PPG
recommended 8 - 10 psi for this paint, and his response was that did not
make sense for the Apollo, which was a "true" HVLP gun.  He spoke with
assurance, and he ought to know so I accepted it - until yesterday.  Not
willing to accept that the old $40 sprayer could do better, I cranked the
pressure up to give a cap pressure of 8 - 9 psi; and, yup; it gives a very
nice finish; and more over-spray, but hey - it works.  When in doubt, follow
the paint manufacturer's suggestion.

 

Now my big defects are dust nibs and flying insects.  A beautifully finished
canard with three gnats and a small fly imbedded in the clear coat - -
ar-r-r-gh!

 

Al

 

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051115/217a3ac4/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list