REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Tue Nov 15 11:48:23 CST 2005


I molded a large bowl of lead into the front of my nosewheel pant/.It 
changed the shimmy from high frequency to a very low frequency.
Revising the caster angle on my nose gear finally fixed the shimmy tendency. 
It shimmied more often when the front was heavily loaded.  I changed the 
caster angle so with two large folks up front  the caster was near zero and 
slightly negative when  lightly loaded.
At the same time I installed a nose wheel lock  but have never needed it.
Wayne
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings


>I always wondered why there hasn't been an example where a counterbalance 
>was used?
>
> The problem is that the CG is aft of the pivot point.  If one needs to use 
> ballast anyway, place a counterbalance to get the CG closer to the pivot 
> point.
>
> Might be a problem with RG's, maybe easier with fixed gear.  Get the 
> center of lift to be aft of pivot as well and have self centering 
> nosewheel, with a very light easy to steer friction system.
>
> Ron Brown wrote:
>> I discovered how destructive nose wheel shimmy can be.
>>
>> On a half dozen or so occassions, I have had nose wheel shimmy after 
>> landing.  The last time, I smelled hot epoxy.  After shut down I did some 
>> investigating and found that the right side pivot bushing had worked 
>> loose from its mounting in the keel. It had worn the hole into an egg 
>> shape with most of the wear toward the lower front of the bushing 
>> mounting.
>>
>> I have epoxied a new bushing into place using the Aeropoxy structural 
>> adhesive.
>>
>>> From now on, I am going to keep my bellville washers clean and tighter 
>>> to
>>
>> minimize - or rather prevent nose wheel shimmy.  (sure makes steering 
>> tougher - especially on take off)
>>
>> Has anybody else had this problem?  I am guessing there is a problem in 
>> that there is a new and improved mounting for these bushings.
>>
>> Do I also need to go ahead and plan to replace these with the new 
>> bushings and plates that are shown in the latest on-line plans?
>>
>> Ronnie
>> 173 Elite RG
>>
>>
>>
>> (173 Elite RG).
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list