REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Nov 15 09:37:40 CST 2005


Ron,

One of my bushings previous to the upgrade(mentioned below) was kinda 
loose, not wallowed out but you could spin it.  I had a couple of minor 
shimmy incidents before I wised up and kept the shimmer washers tight.

I upgraded my nose gear bushings to the later XL type.  The bushing has 
a much larger outside diameter, thus providing more area around it in 
the keel to support it, and it also has a built in steel plate, about 
3"x3"  with 4 mounting holes that also gets bolted to the outside of the 
keel.  It provides at least 300% more attach strength for that critical 
assembly.

You might consider replacing yours with the later model bushings.  Gives 
me a warm fuzzy, knowing how stout that area is now.

Scott

Ron Brown wrote:

> I discovered how destructive nose wheel shimmy can be.
>
> On a half dozen or so occassions, I have had nose wheel shimmy after 
> landing.  The last time, I smelled hot epoxy.  After shut down I did 
> some investigating and found that the right side pivot bushing had 
> worked loose from its mounting in the keel. It had worn the hole into 
> an egg shape with most of the wear toward the lower front of the 
> bushing mounting.
>
> I have epoxied a new bushing into place using the Aeropoxy structural 
> adhesive.
>
>> From now on, I am going to keep my bellville washers clean and 
>> tighter to 
>
> minimize - or rather prevent nose wheel shimmy.  (sure makes steering 
> tougher - especially on take off)
>
> Has anybody else had this problem?  I am guessing there is a problem 
> in that there is a new and improved mounting for these bushings.
>
> Do I also need to go ahead and plan to replace these with the new 
> bushings and plates that are shown in the latest on-line plans?
>
> Ronnie
> 173 Elite RG
>
>
>
> (173 Elite RG).
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list