Reflector: Strake Lights

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 14:25:55 CST 2005


The strakes are structurally important ...let me re-phrase, structurally 
critical members of the airframe.  Weakening the strake in any fashion is 
not recommended.  If the plan includes replacing any portion of the strake 
leading edge with a clear plastic lens, this is not recommended.  I've seen 
photos of Velocity aircraft where builders have installed a landing light 
into the leading edge of the strake, but it is not a good idea.  The only 
exception to this is the short, non-structural piece of strake on Elite 
models that is attached to the doors.  I'm not sure this is the best 
location for a light based on function.  Alternate locations for landing 
lights include the gear legs on RG models; building a housing into the speed 
brake on FG models; and I recently saw an installation on a XL FG with small 
lights built into the front section of the main gear wheel pants ... they 
looked sharp!
SB

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jorge Bujanda" <jbujanda at dslextreme.com>
To: "Velocity Builder's Forum. Reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 8:55 AM
Subject: Reflector: Strake Lights


>I have modified installation of a small taxi light on the nose.
> 
> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/Construction.htm#Electrical
> I was thinking about installing my lights in the strakes and I know some 
> of you have done it.  My questions to those already flying are:
> 1.  Does the canard pose a noticeable obstruction to the beam?
> 2.  Is the reflection on the white canard surfaces intense enough to 
> decrease night vision adaptation when turned on?
> I would appreciate any experience and comments.
>
> Regards,
>  Jorge Bujanda
>  XL FG (under construction)
>  Palmdale, CA
>
> "Make your best case... not the best case."
> "Spare the noise... convince through silence."
>
> Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 




More information about the Reflector mailing list