REFLECTOR: Striping tape; painting

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Nov 10 17:22:55 CST 2005


Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Striping tape

 

Al,

I have not used Scotchcal, I paint my stripes in before clear coating.  If
you are looking for a tape to mask off painted trim/stripes, I would suggest
3M Fine Line Tape.  It has very good bond for masking painted lines, but
also has good release from freshly coated under color.  3M 233 is also the
best all around masking tape for automotive finish painting.

 

Joe;

 

Yes; I’ve been using the 3M Fine Line for masking around the edge of windows
for primer, and now for topcoat, as well as for trim striping.  I’m planning
on using ¼” Scotchcal as a border on a painted trim stripe. It will go on
where I pull off a ¼” Fine Line between colors. I expect to then clearcoat
over both, but I haven’t yet verified adherence of the clearcoat to the
Scotchcal.

 

I’ve completed all the prep, ready to spray some real paint.  I’m
transitioning from conventional sprayer to HVLP.  First tests of shooting
topcoat and clearcoat are not satisfactory, and I’m still trying to figure
out “why?”.  The paint is not “flattening” out well, and going back over and
adding more material results in orange peel or unevenness.  I’m going to
have to sand my test panel and do again.  

 

I’m using the DBC base and DCU2021 clear, and the DT870 reducer. What size
fluid tip did you use?  The Guys at Finishmaster are guessing that a 1 mm
tip is too small, which surprises me a bit since the viscosity of this stuff
is like a lacquer; 12-15 seconds on the #2 Zahn cup.  Next available size up
for my Apollo gun is 1.5 mm, and it’s $50 for a tip and needle; almost as
shocking as the price of the paint.

 

The PPG expert is suggesting larger tip and higher pressure; the Apollo
expert is suggesting lower pressure with the 1 mm tip.  Go figure.  I think
I need to try increasing the material flow, and getting a thicker first
pass.  I’m used to paints (like the epoxy primer) where you first get a thin
tack coat, and then come back with more.  The PPG rep says for this stuff
you want a full wet coat first pass.

 

I’m interested in any helpful hints.

 

Al (Waiting a couple of days for better weather)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20051110/7969c797/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list