REFLECTOR: TruTrak AP

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon May 16 23:46:13 CDT 2005


Chuck;

 

Ah, I explained myself so poorly that you answered the wrong question.  I
want to know about the handling when the AP is turned off; not whether the
AP can adequately control the airplane.  The concern is the effect of the
residual drag from the servo when the AP is off.  Does it allow the plane to
come back to straight and level it you let go of the stick at pattern and
approach speeds?

 

Al

 

Al,

 

I'm fitted with a TruTrak Digiflight IIVSG (or something 'ruther).  The
TruTrak has an 'activity' setting for the pitch and roll axis that be used
to can compensate for the flying characteristics of most planes.  In
general, the TT is rock solid with no porpoising or rolling--smooth or
turbulent--once the activity level is set.  The only 'slop' in my control
system is in the left seat.  If the plane is rigged properly, the TT A/P
should handle it no problem.

 

Chuck

DO NOT ARCHIVE

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 11:31 AM
To: reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR: TruTrak AP

Anyone flying their Velocity with a TruTrak autopilot?

 

I mentioned here before that I was concerned about the amount of residual
drag caused by the roll servo.  (The stepping motor on their AP does not
disengage when the AP is turned off).  I am further concerned now that I
have connected and adjusted the roll trim, and find that the stock roll trim
cannot exert enough force to overcome the residual drag of the servo.  

 

I realize that it is a different situation when flying and there are air
loads on the control surfaces, but I can't help but think that servo drag
will put a "hysteresis" into the controls so the controls would not "center"
if you let go of the stick.

 

Just wondered what the actual flying experience is before I get upset that
they don't use a servo that disengages the gearing when the autopilot is
"disengaged"

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050516/be7fd611/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list