REFLECTOR: Speaker in keel

Terrence Miles knightflyr at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 14 19:01:49 CDT 2005


Jim,
Last month you mentioned about a digikey cabin speaker you put into your
keel.  I am a week or so away from putting the keel in.  Can you tell me
which speaker it was in particular and where you mounted it?
Thanks,
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Agnew
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 9:56 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Major Outline

Here is a tip for the spider on top, take a piece of the SS/ceramic
firewall
insulation that Velocity sells and cut a round disk to fit the bottom of
the
spider.  Remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the spider that hold it on
the
engine mounting bracket and insert the "insulating washer round disk"
between
the mounting bracket and the spider.  This will stop most of the heat
transfer
from the hot case to the spider and lessen the problem.  also helps with
hot
starts.

Jim


--- Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com> wrote:
> Terry,
>  
> I'll take a cut at one of them.  I had the spider on top of the
engine.  The
> lines were insulated but in the summer, it was still rough running
after a
> flight unless I ran the fuel pump.  When I did some engine work, I had
all
> the fuel line insulation removed, I found that in the summer, it was
rough
> running after a flight unless I ran the fuel pump.  More of the story,
> lessons learned, et al--spider on top is just fine (easy to get at,
assuming
> your make a hatch and cut access holes in the pressure baffle.
Running the
> pump on the ground to get smooth operations is no big deal.  Winter
time, its
> a never mind.  I have a Rose EI and mag.
>  
> Chuck, IO-540
>  
>  
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf
> Of Terrence Miles
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 8:26 AM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Major Outline
> 
> 
> Hey ya'll,
>  
> I know this is not directly to the topic CHT issues at hand, but I
have an
> engine cooling problem to toss on the table.  I am trying to refine an
engine
> order for an IO540k w/ Lasar ign turning an aerocomposite CS 3 blade
prop. 
> I'll have the top cut naca scoops in this XL and not the armpit
cooling. 
> Here's my question:  Is there a best place to locate the spider valve
(SV)
> (fuel distrib)?  Concern would be trying to restart a hot engine on
the ramp.
>  My concern is vapor lock.  If I put the SV on top of the engine it's
hot up
> there, but the naca can then work backwards.  I have seen heat air
ripples
> coming off of them just after shutdown.    If I locate it on the
bottom face
> of the engine there is less hot air rising but maybe lesser
ventilation? 
> Anybody have any experience with this?  I am favoring the top mount.
>  
> New 2nd question which is related:  I am trying to give D. George a
final
> buildup profile.  Here my take on ignition.  The emag/pmag folks only
make a
> 4 cyl version of their stuff.  Jeff Rose is selling the biz, so I
counted him
> out.  That left light speed and Lasar it seems to me.  The lasars will
revert
> to basic self generation for spark on loss of electrical.  The
lightspeeds do
> not.  I am choosing Lasar.  Whadaya think?  In fact I already have a
lasar
> timing box I got 2nd hand.  
>  
> New 3rd Question:
> Likely I will do the Nuckols Z-14:  
> Dual batts.  I weigh 150 lbs and will fly solo a lot, so the dual
batts are
> as much a CG fixer.  
> Dual alts:  Less sure on this need.  But if done, 20amps vs 8amps on
the pad
> and 60 amps or so belt-driven
> Bus structure:  Work in progress.  
> Panel:  GRT with one AHRS and 3 screens.  Back up attitude w/ TruTrak.
Back
> up ias/altitude w/ GRT EIS which will be panel mounted.  
>  
> And now for a bit of humor from the new guy on the block...I hope to
be in
> the air by Christmas.  Thank you all very very much for the warm
welcome and
> the brain drain I will be (have already been) for these 1st months.
Anybody
> drifting through Greenville, SC, the front light is always on, and I
just
> bought a new coffee pot.  
>  
> Thanks,
> Terry
> XL RG-5
> Wings ready to glass tomorrow
> Bulkheads going in today
> Hangar 18
>  
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list