REFLECTOR: Flying High

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat May 14 18:53:25 CDT 2005


Maybe its just me or maybe its those of us that "regularly fly and live 
at high altitudes that consider 7500 ft a mandatory O2 altitude ridiculous..

You can't even fly at 5000 feet where I live unless you get a mining 
permit!   My house is at 7100 Ft. Flying at 7500 ft around my airport 
unless your in the pattern can by eye opening or deadly.  I regularly 
fly  between 10500 and 12500.  Those altitudes put you above "most" of 
the terrain, not all of it, and sometimes high enough to get out of the 
thermals. 

I fly up to 17,500 on occasion to top weather, get out of the bumps, or 
take advantage of a very fast tailwind. I use a cannula for that.

I rarely use O2 below 12,500,  if I'm tired I will use it.  At night on 
a long flight I might use it at +10,500.

I think my portable O2 system(4 way) is a pain in the a** to use.  Hoses 
always tangled, catching on everything in flight. 

I would like to get a Mountain High O2 system as they are the best and 
save on O2.  Not that it is that expensive, just a pain to be always 
filling the bottle.   I would also put in a built in system to eliminate 
the hose fiasco...

Scott

Chuck Jensen wrote:

> Kurt, you wrote, quoting an earlier post that said "Lynn must live at 
> sea level!!  That's ridiculous in the extreme!" is just plain ignorant.
>  
> There's an expression about 'knowing your audience'.  In this case, 
> you need to know your author. 
>  
> You obviously forgot to adjust the posting for what I call the S.D. 
> Factor, wherein you divide by two and reduce by 50%...and you're right 
> there.  After adjustment, the posting actually read "to routinely use 
> oxygen at 5000' seems a little conservative."
>  
> Chuck
>  
> Just kidding Scott--I know you can take it!!!
>  
> Do Not Archive      
>  
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list