REFLECTOR: Flying High
John Dibble
aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sat May 14 14:19:04 CDT 2005
That's a good point. When you fly through smoke, there's no place to go
to get out of it and O2 would be a good way to get some fresh air.
John
Al Gietzen wrote:
> Each person's reaction to oxygen depravation "can" be different.
>
> And different under different conditions. I think Jorge mentioned the
> effect of stress. When living on the far north coast of CA (yep, sea
> level), I would routinely fly at 9,500 or 10,500 ft over the mountains
> of northern CA and southern OR; never experiencing any symptoms of
> lack of O2, or even considering it. On one occasion at 10,500 I found
> myself in smoke from major forest fires. I was flying VFR, and not
> able pick up a VOR. No visible terrain. I was stressed. I was
> getting a headache. I proceeded by dead reckoning to Klamath Falls,
> not sure if I was going to find it, and it was a place I had never
> previously landed (continued stress). Came out of the smoke, found
> myself close to KLMT, descended to pattern altitude (still over 5000
> ft) and made a very poor landing (mis-judged how far the wheels were
> off the runway as the stall horn started sounding, and the left wing
> dropped). Fortunately didnt bend anything, but felt weak and shaky
> as I stepped from the airplane, and wondered what was going on.
>
> Realized later that it was more than just relative inexperience, but
> likely was some degree of hypoxia. And I was younger then. Im
> planning an O2 system in my Velocity.
>
> Al
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050514/f1b6030d/attachment-0001.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list