REFLECTOR: Glide tests

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue May 10 22:47:48 CDT 2005


Well, to be picky, 100 no wind, maybe 110 upwind, 90 downwind (assuming 
significant wind (> 15 or 20 kts).  It's difficult to quantify 
precisely, but I would tend to add about 25% of the component (20 kts 
wind => 5 kts) to my "optimum" (no wind) airspeed.
Whose GPS    "cones of safety" compensate for wind? .... Jim S.

Brett Ferrell wrote:

>If I recall correctly (and I probably don't, but what the hey),
>
>best glide = best rate of climb speed (Vy) = best L/D = Max Range Speed, which
>my XL manual claims to be about 100kt
>
>Brett
>
>Quoting Ron Brown <romott at adelphia.net>:
>
>  
>
>>I ran some glide tests on my 173 Elite RG with Catto climb prop (66" dia x70)
>>last week.
>>
>>I flew 10 miles away from an airport, climbed to 6500 feet, turned around and
>>slowed to 90 kias with engine idling (1040 rpm).  In 6:27 minutes, I was over
>>the airport at 2700 feet.  This equates to 16:1 glide ratio, 93 kias average
>>speed, and 590 FPM.  Not bad.  I was flying solo, total weight was 1900 lbs.
>>The return trip in the other direction was slightly lower at 15.2:1.   As I
>>understand it, best glide speed for a Velocity is 90-100 kias.
>>
>>RV's on the other hand, do about 12:1
>>
>>(oh and lets not get into a big discussion on prop stopped versus wind
>>milling.  If you want to see that discussion. go to last week's RV list).
>>
>>Ronnie
>>
>>    
>>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>  
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list