REFLECTOR: Rudder Rigging

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue May 10 15:21:16 CDT 2005


On the other hand, I have been flying with a "heavy" right wing - it takes 
about 1/4" of down aileron on the right wing (with corresponding 1/8" up on 
the left aileron).  I put a thin shim on the upper right wing bolt - with no 
effect.

Then I talked to my rigging guru this morning and he said I need to be 
looking at the rudders first if I have a ball out of center.  I did and I 
was amazed at the difference when placing a straight edge along the outside 
of the winglet and rudder.  The left rudder is flat against the straight 
edge.  The right rudder has a 1/4" gap from the straight edge at the hinge 
line.  I think I have solved the problem.  The internally installed 
bellcrank is up against the winglet skin.  Some Dremel grinding should fix 
this.

Results later this week.

Ronnie

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS


> CAUTION!!!
>
> Shimming a rudder inboard "may" lead to destructive flutter.  Never shim 
> the rudder so far inboard that the trailing edge of the rudder protrudes 
> inside the trailing edge of the winglet. This allows the rudder to unload 
> at high speeds which at any speeds will induce flutter.
>
> How do I know this, cause I was stupid enough to do it.  Scared the 
> beejesus out of me and my wife...
>
> Scott D.
>
> Scott Baker wrote:
>
>> Q:  At a medium cruise speed ... say 175K indicated ... level the wings 
>> using ailerons only to achieve straight flight ... Where is the ball? 
>> Sounds like you might need the left rudder shimmed out - or - the right 
>> rudder relieved so that it comes inboard - or perhaps a combination of 
>> both ... not a lot ... try about 1/8th of travel at first ... see what 
>> happens.
>> SB
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Martino" 
>> <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
>> To: <reflector at www.tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:37 PM
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS
>>
>>
>> I thought my plane was rigged wrong ... or that I had a heavy wing ...
>> but NOT so.
>>
>>
>>
>> Please read the background and give me your thoughts:
>>
>>
>>
>> My plane has a tendency to turn to the right (ball in center) but the
>> right wing drops a lot!
>>
>>
>>
>> The incidence is fine ... the rigging is fine ... I even put a trim tab
>> on the right wing ... and adjust it severely "up" to lift the wing.  It
>> did NOTHING to help.
>>
>>
>>
>> My conclusion, after many hours of flying is that the stick itself (in
>> the plane) has a weird pressure on it when under an air "load",  The
>> stick wants to snap to the right (meaning the bottom of the stick snaps
>> or pulls to the left).
>>
>>
>>
>> Something strange is going on.  The tendency begins when ground rolling
>> and gets worse with speed!
>>
>>
>>
>> Why?  I don't know!
>>
>>
>>
>> Is it in the design ... the way the elevator push-pull rod attaches to
>> the stick?
>>
>>
>>
>> Does air movement over the elevator somehow put side pressure on the
>> stick?
>>
>>
>>
>> I am baffled.
>>
>>
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>>
>>
>> Tom Martino
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list