REFLECTOR: Re:WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS

Gary T. Ciampa gciampa at nc.rr.com
Mon May 9 21:29:34 CDT 2005


<snip>

Tom,

could there be any asymetry in the geometry of the wings? Assuming the 
incidence if fine, ailerons and rudders are properly positioned, perhaps 
one wing or winglet is not shaped symetrically. This would lead to 
asymetric lift or drag moments.

Perhaps there is some looseness in one of the aileron or rudder hinges 
that would cause the control surface to shift or flex asymetrically at 
higher speeds.

It seems reasonable that given all the control surface linkage is 
internal to the airframe, that airspeed would not affect the linkages. 
(however, another thought, could any ram air pressure into the engine 
cowling put pressure on an aileron bellcrank or rudder cable, this is a 
stretch?)

Cheers,

Gary

>----- Original Message ----- 
>From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
>To: <reflector at www.tvbf.org>
>Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:37 PM
>Subject: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS
>
>
>I thought my plane was rigged wrong ... or that I had a heavy wing ...
>but NOT so.
>
>
>
>Please read the background and give me your thoughts:
>
>
>
>My plane has a tendency to turn to the right (ball in center) but the
>right wing drops a lot!
>
>
>
>The incidence is fine ... the rigging is fine ... I even put a trim tab
>on the right wing ... and adjust it severely "up" to lift the wing.  It
>did NOTHING to help.
>
>
>
>My conclusion, after many hours of flying is that the stick itself (in
>the plane) has a weird pressure on it when under an air "load",  The
>stick wants to snap to the right (meaning the bottom of the stick snaps
>or pulls to the left).
>
>
>
>Something strange is going on.  The tendency begins when ground rolling
>and gets worse with speed!
>
>
>
>Why?  I don't know!
>
>
>
>Is it in the design ... the way the elevator push-pull rod attaches to
>the stick?
>
>
>
>Does air movement over the elevator somehow put side pressure on the
>stick?
>
>
>
>I am baffled.
>
>
>
>Any ideas?
>
>
>
>Tom Martino
>
>
>
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>  
>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:14:52 -0500
>From: "Alex Balic" <alex157 at pwhome.com>
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS
>To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
>	<reflector at tvbf.org>
>Message-ID: <008201c554fd$ab38c290$6501a8c0 at ALEX>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>It is interesting that the deflection is purely speed dependent- which
>would lead me to think that it is an aerodynamic problem- I wouldn't
>think that your autopilot would give you this reaction anyway since it
>doesn't sense speed- how do you know that you are correct wing-shim
>wise?  Could possibly be an out of rig winglet, but that shouldn't
>induce much roll at all.
> 
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Tom Martino
>Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:12 PM
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS
> 
>It is a roll problem . but not a roll trim problem because I have no
>auto pilot connected (hooked up but not energized) . nor do I have an
>electric roll; trim.  I do have a big trim tab on the "heavy" wing .
>with a lot of deflection . but it doesn't help.
> 
>I will double-check my auto pilot to be sure it is "off" . but I am
>almost positive it is!
> 
>Please more input!
> 
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of SlvEgl99 at aol.com
>Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 5:45 PM
>To: reflector at tvbf.org
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: WEIRD STICK PROBLEMS
> 
>My first thought is roll trim problem. Do you have an outopilot that is
>somehow inputting a command? 
> 
>My XL tends to fly with the ball to the right in the turn coordinator,
>but I think it is a rigging problem that I have never gotten around to
>dealing with.
> 
>However yours sounds like a roll trim problem. 
> 
>Disconnect it either mechanically or electrically and check it out.
> 
>Bob Wood
>N658SE
>XL FG 
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050509/3f421ab6/attachment.htm
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>End of Reflector Digest, Vol 12, Issue 31
>*****************************************
>
>  
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list