REFLECTOR: Fuel Pump Cooling?

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun May 8 20:33:02 CDT 2005


John,
It sounds like you may need some insulation around your fuel lines in the
engine compartment.  Do you have firesleeve on them?  I remember that my
dad's '64 Rambler station wagon was retrofitted with a row of wooden
clothspins on the fuel line on top of the engine to solve a vapor-locking
problem.
Your experience also suggests that it might be advantageous to have the fuel
pump in a cooler location - such as inside the cabin.  I don't like the idea
of a fuel leak into the cabin, but I like the idea of a fuel leak in the
engine compartment even less!
Keith


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Pump Cooling?


> The only problem I have is when the engine compartment is hot, like when
you make a
> quick stop at an airport.  The electric pump vapor locks.  Since I have a
carburetor,
> I can start without any pump and the problem goes away once the engine is
running.
> John
>
>
> KeithHallsten wrote:
> > I was a bit surprised to see that, too.  I have thought that the fuel
boost
> > pump is used on a sufficiently "intermittent" basis that cooling would
not
> > require special consideration.  I was even considering installing the
fuel
> > boost pump on the cabin side of the firewall.  The pump itself is cooled
by
> > the fuel passing through it, but that probably doesn't help the electric
> > motor driving it.  Has anyone else identified a need for cooling for the
> > pump motor?
> > Keith Hallsten, XLFG
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Jack Sheehan" <j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov>
> > To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 11:01 AM
> > Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Roof NACA's
> >
> > > Rene
> > > I am flying the same engine 260hp. i have not considered any cooling
> > > for the electric fuel pump. Mine is located at the bottom of the
> > > firewall and as far as I know heat has not been a problem am I
> > > missing something
> > > Jack Sheehan




More information about the Reflector mailing list