REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine

J.P. Brooks jp211 at comcast.net
Sat May 7 10:12:14 CDT 2005


Okay,

"Shucks guys,...   I don't know"


At 07:41 AM 5/7/2005, you wrote:
>J.P.,
>
>Its nice to see your confidence in the product.
>
>However, we here in New Mexico are still waiting for you to "show us your 
>stuff".
>
>I think you boasted you could do a fully loaded Velocity with a 160 HP 
>Deltahawk, take off from Mid Valley in the summer.
>
>we're still waiting....
>
>Scott
>
>
>J.P. Brooks wrote:
>
>>Gentle pilots,...   first, I don't set the pricing.
>>I believe it is $4000 extra.
>>People want power and power we deliver.  One could even run the engine at 
>>250 hp but TBO would be reduced.  Not being evasive here gents.
>>There are some differences that cost money.  Time involved with three 
>>engineers in the dyno, on the aircraft and digesting data takes a bit 
>>more time that 1 day and they tend to like food with their meals......  ;-)
>>
>>With intercoolers we've heard that you receive approximately 10-15% boost 
>>because your able to densify that much more air and add proportionately 
>>more fuel for a bigger "bang".
>>Doug has told me that the engine can take this extra pounding since we 
>>way over designed it, but that remains to be proven empirically.
>>
>>We can always reduce the price, which makes you a happy pilot.  When we 
>>increase prices you are not so happy anymore.
>>
>>Now for a short story: (eye rolls please)
>>
>>Once there was this fine tuned factory that was maxed out putting out the 
>>finest machines in the world.  One day, the one machine that controlled 
>>all of production stopped halting the entire production facility.  The 
>>owner called the one and only person in the city that knew about this 
>>machine.  He came to the plant where thousands of employees were standing 
>>waiting for his arrival since this huge facility was idle now.  He 
>>stepped up to the machine, looked it over.
>>Opened his bag and took out a tiny hammer.  He gently lifted it and with 
>>one small stoke tapped the machine.  Instantly, it roared back to life 
>>and everyone scrambled to their work stations smiling.  The Owner said 
>>"send me the bill" smiling.  The skilled repairman send him the bill 
>>simply printed at $4000.  When the owner got the bill he was a bit 
>>angered at the charge.  He wrote back the Repairman and ask for an 
>>itemized copy of his bill.  The next week it arrived.  The owner opened 
>>it up and read the two entries.
>>
>>Hammer: 1$
>>
>>Knowing where to tap the machine: $3999
>>
>>
>>It takes money to find out the fit.  It takes money to flight test.
>>It takes money to get the knowledge of how it will  affect all other 
>>aspects of this engine.  In fact, we spent over $400,000.00 (USD) 
>>defending ourselves back in the late 90's because someone thought we had 
>>stolen their ideas.  We hadn't.  This is a clean sheet of paper 
>>genesis.  We burn through a tremendous amount of money a month just to 
>>slide that little key into the knob and turn it, AND, with no cash 
>>flowing in after 10 years.  We surpassed the 5 million dollar mark last 
>>December.  I know because I wrote the $100,000 check along with my wife's 
>>approval (great wife, eh?).  We would love nothing more than to give away 
>>HP, but again, gentle pilots,......   we can't.  But everyone who calls 
>>us asks us the same questions:  How much will the 200 HP go for?
>>
>>Did anyone notice that the A4 is the same as the V4?   That did cost us 
>>some money and weeks of engineering on Carl/Dave/Doug and Deans part..
>>
>>There I go again mouthing off where is should just shrug my shoulders and 
>>just say "shucks guys, I don't know".
>>
>>I hope I get the chance to race Mr. 540 to 30,000 feet, or more.  "Oh no, 
>>not another challenge that I cant' fly now but must in the future."  JP 
>>just stow it till you can do it.
>>
>>
>>
>>At 03:04 AM 5/7/2005, you wrote:
>>
>>>...so what are the differences that justify the extra $5,500 beyond the 
>>>intercooler JP? - the lack of an answer to that question has me intrigued..
>>>
>>>Greg in Sydney.
>>>
>>>
>>>----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Riley" <Richard at riley.net>
>>>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 10:56 AM
>>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine
>>>
>>>
>>>>At 09:30 AM 5/6/05, you wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>You are the first of many I expected to say that.
>>>>>Good luck and don't forget to tell us all how it is coming along after 
>>>>>you receive you engine
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I'm sticking with my 540, thanks.  I'm working with a division in 
>>>>Irvine that you're familiar with, but on my personal airplane I'm 
>>>>staying with 50 year old technology for the time being.
>>>>
>>>>My point is that there are surely more differences than an intercooler, 
>>>>if only the fuel injection map.
>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list