REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine
J.P. Brooks
jp211 at comcast.net
Thu May 5 12:12:07 CDT 2005
If you go to our site:
www.deltahawkengines.com/status00.shtml
...scroll down to the picture of the ongoing testing you'll see the A4.
JP
At 08:56 AM 5/5/2005, you wrote:
>Welcome Grigore!
>
>I think that you will find that many on this list are skeptical about the
>advantages of the DeltaHawk diesel, but I am not one of them. It is 35% more
>fuel efficient than the IO-360, plus smoother, quieter, and simpler. The
>"A4" versions allow a much more steamlined cowl than the IO-360. It has
>single lever power control with no mixture or carb heat and no complicated
>FADEC. It represents the most significant advancement in general aviation
>power plants in 70 years.
>
>I am a little undecided about which model to use in my top-door, FG
>Velocity. The Velocity was originally designed for a 160 hp engine, and it
>looks like the DH160V4 will push the airplane faster than an IO-360 does, so
>it is definitely an option. But for just a little more money and no
>additional weight, the DH180V4 would give you a higher cruise speed or a
>shorter take off roll with a fixed pitch prop. I'm probably going to buy
>the DH180A4. For only an additional 15 pounds of weight and some more money
>you can get the DH200A4. The extra weight comes from the intercooler. I
>think it is probably overkill, and I like to keep things lighter and
>simpler. But an extra 20 hp for only 15 lbs is a pretty good deal.
>
>Doug Holub
>top door, FG, 70% done, I'm going to complete the airframe in 2006 or die
>trying
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Grigore Rosu" <grosu at cs.uiuc.edu>
>To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 10:01 AM
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine
>
>
> > I am perhaps the latest member of the list (just received the
> > confirmation of my order for a Velocity SE/FG a few days ago), so please
> > let me start with a warm hello to all the enthusiastic Velocity Builders!
> >
> > I am living and flying in Illinois (Champaign-Urbana area), but I am
> > originally from Romania. I intend to move back to Europe in a few years,
> > so I am 99% decided to go for a Deltahawk engine (as you may all know, in
> > Europe the price of AVGAS is prohibitive). I am also very impressed with
> > the latest comparison data between the DH160V4 engine and the Lycoming
> > IO-360, so it looks like a DH engine may be a very good choice even for
> > one flying one's Velocity all the time in the USA ... (see
> > http://www.deltahawkengines.com/perfor00.shtml).
> >
> > Are there builders on this list who are seriously considering a DH engine?
> >
> > Can anybody comment a bit on the three possibile DH engines, namely the
> > DH160V4, DH180V4, and DH200V4? According to Deltahawk's data, a DH160V4
> > sounds like just good enough for a Velocity SE/FG. However, a DH180V4
> > also seems very attractive. Also, what would the REAL difference between
> > the three engines be in the case of a Velocity SE/FG (ignoring the price)?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Grigore
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list