REFLECTOR: egt and cht problems
steve korney
s_korney at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 22:36:48 CDT 2005
Take a safety pilot with you and let them take notes....
Best... Steve
----Original Message Follows----
From: "Sid Knox" <sbjknox at earthlink.net>
Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: egt and cht problems
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 21:58:18 -0500
Dean,
You have got me to wondering if my EGT/CHT instrumentation ( Vision Micro
Systems EPI 800) could be suffering from a similar ailment. When I bought
the Velocity a few years ago, on my first night flight the EPI 800 gave me a
low battery alarm (and showed about 11.5 V) which certainly will get one's
attention! This was traced to an improper grounding technique at
installation such that with the position and strobe loads, the analog input
to the voltmeter had an unwanted offset added to it. I wired the DC return
as it should have been and the voltmeter problem was solved.
However, I am trying to remember, but I think my EGT and CHT probes are of
the "grounded" style also and if so, my temperature readouts may have a
similar error. Maybe many of us have the same problem and don't know it.
How could I not know it?
Here is my thinking:
1) almost all of my flying is in the daytime and thus no landing or
position light load.
2) gear pump runs for a few seconds only. When the pump is running, I am
looking at the gear lights, not the EGT/CHT numbers.
3) when landing at night, there are too many higher priority tasks than
watching EGT/CHT temps.
So, next time I go fly, I will make a point to see if my EGT/CHT readout
system suffers as yours.
Sid Knox
Oklahoma
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
KR2 N24TC
W7QJQ
----- Original Message -----
From: "dean fitzbag" <dfitzbag at msn.com>
To: "reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:11 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: egt and cht problems
I have JPI slim line instruments. They are a egt, cht, outside air, oil
pressure, oil temp, tach, ameter-voltmeter, and fuel pressure. All are
connected to my master panel for the plus side. All except the egt and cht
are grounded to the master panel ground. The egt and cht are grounded
directly to the engine. All is fine on the ground and in the air provided
that no large current is flowing out of the alternator. If I turn on the
gear pump, nav lights, strobe lights, landing lights, electric fuel pump or
if the battery needs recharging, then the temperature read outs of the egt
and cht will read low. The more current, the lower the reading. There is
no problem on the ground since my engine isn't running fast enough to drive
the alternator output high enough.
The JPI folks insist that I must have the ground on these two instruments
somewhere other than the engine. I have a direct wire connection. The
voltmeter reads 13 to 14 volts. The ameter reads 2 to 3 amp on the ground,
normal 8-9 in the air without the additional load of the above devices, and
up to 15 and above with them.
I have the factory wiring system. The engine ground and panel ground meet
at the battery.
The cht will drop about 50 degrees with the nav lights, and another 100
degrees with the landing lights. The drop seems to be proportional to the
extra current.
Any ideas?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list