REFLECTOR: Major Outline

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun May 1 21:25:49 CDT 2005


Roof NACA's.

I need to cut the holes in the roof to install the NACA's. My plane was 
a updraft, and the instructions say to cut out the pre-marked holes 
which I don't have.

Anybody know the spacing side to side, or center to center I should use?

Scott

Terrence Miles wrote:

> Guys, (and Gals)
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions on the spider valve. I am putting a 
> heftier heat shield on the wheel brakes and maybe I can use the left 
> overs for a heat shield. That was a good idea.
>
> Ken, I will probably take your advice and hold on Lasars after all. I 
> have written twice to the Emag-air guys and received quick replies 
> even tho I a not a customer. They are working on it, but no dates to 
> offer despite my pleadings.
>
> It’s too bad my Dad’s not with us anymore. He was an electrician, by 
> trade, and would have loved this stuff…did radio work in WWII. So I do 
> plan to tackle it all including the panel…at least for now…I just 
> can’t get myself passed the endless research vacuum!! Thanks for the 
> cautions on ordering anything prematurely. I know I can’t claim the 
> same as y’all who work at this alone. After one week, I am amazed at 
> how much was accomplished over me alone going at this in a two car 
> garage with a construction manual and list of phone numbers.
>
> Terry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *Jim Sower
> *Sent:* Saturday, April 30, 2005 12:50 PM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Major Outline
>
> michalk wrote:
>
>
> Figure out your reliability requirements. And temper those with 
> reality and complexity. I did a failure analysis of a dual battery 
> system, single alternator. This is essentially three power sources. 
> One could argue that if both batteries go, so does the alternator.
>
> Makes sense. Haven't heard of it ever happening, but it makes sense.
>
>
> If you figure a battery will unpredictably utterly completely fail in 
> 100 flight hours, that's a chance of .01 in one hour.
>
> I would guess the number is more like 500 or more hrs (unpredictably 
> being a key word here).
>
> If two batteries, that's a chance of both failing simultaneously of 
> .0001 per hour, or one failure every 10000 flight hours. Of course, 
> this could happen on your first flight. Damn statistics.
>
> Or 250,000 hrs using the 500-hr probability. Change one battery every 
> annual (and put it in your car for a few more years) and you can 
> easily achieve a 500-hr (or better) probability on batteries.
>
>
> Compare this to vacuum pumps.
>
> Definitely. Cost $300 - $500, have an [advertised] 800 hr life 
> expectancy, regularly fail early.
>
> Weigh your risks on the probability statistics. DO NOT ACCEPT 
> ANECDOTAL ADVICE.
>
> Now where you're gonna' get advice that's NOT anecdotal is unclear.
>
> Get good hard facts and verifiable data.
>
> Gathered by the guy to whose anecdotes you attach the most credibility
>
> If you are not afraid of electricity, go with electric gyros.
>
> If you ARE afraid of electricity, take a bus :o) ... Jim S.
>
>
>
>
> Bus structure: Work in progress.
>
>
> Sounds like you have a good start. With dual batts, I assume you can 
> separate critical/non-critical busses, and feed critical from either 
> battery.
>
> I'm not convinced of the argument that a person needs to be able to 
> tie the two batteries together for extra starting current. If this is 
> the case, I would suggest that perhaps your batteries are getting old 
> and need to be replaced. My critical bus/battery can't connect to the 
> starter, and with a battery isolator, that means my avionics and 
> computers remain up and running without power glitches through an 
> engine start.
>
>
> And now for a bit of humor from the new guy on the block…I hope to be 
> in the air by Christmas. Thank you all very very much for the warm 
> welcome
>
>
> Bwahahaha!!!
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list