REFLECTOR: Interior foam

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 28 13:54:10 CST 2005


Sounds good.  Any idea what it weighs?

Jim Agnew wrote:

>The answer is Yes, I have.  I used Chestnut Ridge Foam (FAA Approved and fire
>retardant) 1/4" thickness and 45/55# density.  I glued it to the inside of the
>fuselage with spray on contact cement used for headliners etc.  I then covered
>it with leather.  It makes for a slightly compressible surface and I know that
>my plane is quieter than most Velocities I've been in.  It is over most of the
>interior from the canard back to and including the the dummy engine bulkhead. 
>I'm sure that the leather / foam combination makes a decent sound barrier.  The
>headliner is a standard felt like headliner over the foam. 
>
>The foam is fairly dense but pliable and combined with the leather adds some
>temperature insulating properties.  The Foam/leather sandwich goes from the
>bottom of the wire ducts to the top of the windows where the headliner starts.
>
>
>Jim
>
>--- Jim Sower <canarder at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>  
>
>>Don't know how much 1/4" or 1/2" of foam insulation is going to improve 
>>on the insulating qualities of the foam the airplane's made of.  Same 
>>goes for sound proofing. Probably not significantly.
>>Has anyone quantified this? ... Jim S.
>>
>>Jim & Sharon Beck wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>Brett,
>>>
>>>What are type of insulation are you installing and what are you 
>>>estimating for weight ,  Most of my flying will be st higher 
>>>altitudes, from Nevada with mountains to clear & turbulence to avoid.
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>----- Original Message -----
>>>From: "Brett Ferrell" <bferrell at 123mail.net>
>>>To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 7:47 AM
>>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Interior foam
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>>>Don,
>>>>
>>>>I don't disagree with most of what you said, but I do think that the 
>>>>insulation
>>>>that I intend to install will not only dampen some of the noise and 
>>>>vibration
>>>>in the airframe, it will help maintain the interior temperature at 
>>>>altitude.
>>>>Depending on what kind of flying you intend to do, that can be a big 
>>>>win.
>>>>
>>>>Brett
>>>>
>>>>Quoting Don19dw at aol.com:
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>My opinion:
>>>>>1) Soundproofing materials added to a Velocity are an  unnecessary 
>>>>>expense
>>>>>and add unwanted weight. A better solution is good headsets and 
>>>>>intercom
>>>>>system
>>>>>for ALL occupants. Even with soundproofing, all occupants should wear
>>>>>headsets.
>>>>>2) Use temperfoam, at least in bottom, of all seats, 3 layer different
>>>>>densities best. This provides maximum comfort and excellent energy 
>>>>>absorbing
>>>>>ability
>>>>>in event of a crash.
>>>>>(I speak from experience on this subject)
>>>>>3) My doors closed system is 2 warning redlights, ( in case one bulb 
>>>>>burns
>>>>>out) for EACH  door, top center of panel in front of pilot, ON 
>>>>>WHENEVER door
>>>>>is
>>>>>NOT LOCKED. My takeoff check list, 4th last item is DOORS CLOSED AND 
>>>>>LOCKED.
>>>>>Then 2nd last item is CHECK DOOR WARNING LIGHTS OUT.
>>>>>Don White   N19DW   XL/RG
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit 
>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>    
>>
>
>James F. Agnew
>Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
>Tampa, FL
>Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>  
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list