REFLECTOR: Transponder antennas
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Mar 24 13:52:14 CST 2005
Al,
I used a Ted's $20 antenna from AS
Stainless should be fine, Ive seen copper screen used...
Since my antenna is up in the nose, attached to the bottom of the battery
shelf, I can blank out the antenna if I'm at low altitude and climbing
directly away from the radar antenna... The only place this has happened
is climbing out of Carson or Reno, since they have only one radar antenna
and are not mosaic'd with any other feeds.
Scott
> This topic came up a week or so ago in a very timely manner for me; I was
> just debating where and what for the transponder antenna. Right now
> planning to start flying with the King KT76A I already have, and upgrade
> later to Garmin GTX-330 for traffic display.
>
>
>
> I concluded I would use the small "monopole" antenna in the nose for a
> short
> lead. Aluminum ground plane was mentioned - would light gauge SS be just
> as
> good?
>
>
>
> I find the small monopole antennas priced over a broad range, all look and
> sound the same. Aircraft Spruce: TED - $19.95, AV-22 - $48.95, Comant
> CI-101 - $63.95; and Aeroelectric - $34.50. Oh, yeah; and Velocity store
> $37.95. What's the difference?
>
>
>
> AS also has the Advanced Aircraft Electronics L2 that advertises high
> gain,
> and no ground plane required - mount anywhere inside composite aircraft -
> for $85.95.
>
>
>
> Shopping advice appreciated,
>
>
>
> Al
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list