REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in
Velocity_AZ
velocity_AZ at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 11:15:11 CST 2005
I just re-did my camber and toe-in. After 1 year my gear (fixed gear) did
settle and my camber was not only gone but I had negative camber (about
0.2-0.5 degrees).
After speaking with the factory, they suggest 10 degrees camber with the
aircraft OFF its wheels - so when it's on the ground, you end up with some
positive camber - the amount is not that important as long as it's positive.
Camber is only for tread wear.
Regarding toe-in, you should have 1" toe-in when the plane is ON ITS WHEELS.
This is for proper tracking. It doesn't do you any good to have 1" toe-in
when the plane is on jacks but something else when you're taxiing. The
manual clearly states how to acheive 1" toe-in when the plane is on the
ground - it does require the wheels to come off and on a couple of times.
Regards,
Kevin
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:00 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in
I used a pocket laser pointing along side the outer edges of the tire,
projecting onto a card board box on the floor abeam of the nose gear. By
the way, I left my Velocity on the ground but did pull it forward so that
the gear would be in the same condition as when rolling out on landing.
After doing all of this, I still had some quicker wear on the outer edge of
the left tire - right tire was pretty much even. So I added a shim to the
left tire to point it outwards. I feel the ultimate measurement is tire
wear - i.e.. get it as close to the 1" toe in as you can, then monitor tread
wear (I used the depth gauge of my dial caliper) and measured depth on the
edges and middle at three places then compare readings over 25 or 50 hours.
By the way, considering new tires - our Condors are not the best tire for
tread wear. Aviation Consumer tested a number of tires and the best tread
wear per cost is the Goodyear Flight Custom - twice as good as the Condor.
And the extra tread depth of the Goodyear does not equate to a larger
diameter tire - it is the same as the Condor.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Rene <mailto:dugasd at bellsouth.net> Dugas
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
list'
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:31 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in
Laser and welding are great ideas. Thanks
Landing toe was ok to start with but was two inches out with wt on gear.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:07 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in
By what Velocity told me and what we did on my XL FG at the factory was to
set toe in and camber with no weight on the wheels. It has not resulted in
unusual tire wear. I do not pretend to know about SERG, but ask Scott B.
about it. I think he will confirm my approach.
The laser , which was my adaptation as I wanted to avoid tire removal etc.,
cost about $25 or so -----money well spent and a whole lot easier than
removing tires over and over. Have to trust that the axle stubbs are square
on the end as you have a base of only 2" to use instead of the whole
tire/wheel combination.
Bob Wood
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050316/3cf7987b/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list