REFLECTOR: RE: I AM A JERK (for buying MT)
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Mar 15 08:51:04 CST 2005
Results may vary...and mine did. I ended up with a semi-shattered
trailing edge about 3/4 out on one blade. After sending photos, they
suggested that I could put duct tape on it and fly it down there. I was
doing some plane work also in Florida, so I flew down to the other
facility, removed the prop and drove it up to DeLand and dropped it off
on a Thursday last fall. I picked it up on the following Tuesday.
Granted, the repair was about $400, but that included repainting, new
rubberized leading edges and balancing. As you can see from the photo,
it was not a minor repair.
A year ago last summer, I had an experience more similar to your when I
had to have a nasty gouge in the leading edge repaired. The shipping
and packaging for sending the prop to/from Deland was $300 before I even
started. They refused to repair one blade without rebuilding the others
and overhauling the seals to prevent leaks (which weren't leaking
anyhow). They kept to their schedule...and I use "their" schedule
advisedly...my schedule was of no interest to them.
Having spent a couple hours in their 'factory' in DeLand, I left with
the impression that they take great care and are reasonably precise in
their work and seemed well organized. Several of the fellows had worked
there for a few years (a good sign). However, IMO there is a
significant downside. Their customer relationship is abysmal. They
develop policies and practices that they then treat as though chiseled
in stone. Finesse and Customer Service should rarely be used in the
same sentence or breath as MT Props.
With all that said, what must be acknowledged is MT is producing props
(whatever their shortcomings) while others are talking about it. I'll
take performance over promises any day. Its just a shame they keep
poking themselves in the eye with that sharp stick by dealing with their
customers in a non-friendly manner.
Chuck
3 blade MT
P.S. Looking at the last names of some of our list participants, I'll
refrain from speculating on the "German" influence on the conduct of
their business and their self-confirmed superior engineering. No point
in trying for the 2005 Persona Non Grata award!
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Tom Martino
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:59 PM
To: reflector at www.tvbf.org
Subject: I AM A JERK (for buying MT)
It is amazing to me the arrogance and lack of customer relations at MT.
When I called the Deland MT office ... and described the minor damage
... they said "No matter how minor the damage, it must be repaired in
Germany".
Yet the Deland website says they do all major repairs. Not so. I asked
"Is there no one in the US capable of doing this magic?"
"No, no one".
THEN IT GOT WORSE.
Not only do I have to send one blade to be repaired ... but the other
three blades needs to be "refurbished".
Why? With only 6 hours on them?
"They are a matched set. They all must be rebuilt."
Here is the real answer (that was never verbalized): If we can get
crazy Americans to spend this much money on a wooden prop (that happens
to be covered with a fancy plastic) ... we can call it "composite" and
get a lot of money for it. We can also make up ridiculous rules when it
comes to maintenance and repairs. After all ... those crazy Americans
have a lot of money. Why not get as much as we can? And ... then if
they have serviceability problems, we can blame it on the "Forbidden
RPM" Zone ... or something that sounds scientific.
After all ... they buy Mercedes. They believe in fine engineering.
They will probably believe in anything that comes from Germany. Right?
Even bullshit.
Do I sound bitter?
Anyone want to buy a slightly used, slightly damaged four-blade MT Prop.
GIVE ME CATTO.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050315/615d2e75/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list