REFLECTOR: NOSE GEAR DID NOT GET SIDEWAYS
steve korney
s_korney at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:48:38 CST 2005
The nose gear actuator only sees pressure for an instant before the main
gear down lock is pulled...As soon as the main gear over-center lock is
defeated, the pressure goes away because the main gear is pulling the
cylinder...The pressure only starts to build after the mains are down and
locked...The nose gear doors are still only partially open and acting as a
sail in the wind against the accuator that still has no pressure...The nose
gear has already dropped down on to the nose gear doors, but the doors are
holding the nose gear up until the mains lock down...Then all the pressure
goes to the nose gear and it pushes through the nose gear doors until it's
down and locked...That's when the nose gear accuator finally goes to full
travel and opens the nose gear doors all the way...
I think...
Best... Steve
----Original Message Follows----
From: Joe <Jewen at comporium.net>
Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NOSE GEAR DID NOT GET SIDEWAYS
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:10:25 -0500
BUT ... when I lower the gear, the gear comes down and the
nose-gear-door-actuator doesn't pop out to open the doors until after
all the gear is down and locked?????
Is it possible the spool in the sequence valve is getting stuck? The valve
is mechanically shifted in one direction, but spring returned. Could a
weak/broken spring or any warpage on the spool/housing retard return to the
normal position?
Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
To: <reflector at www.tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:35 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: NOSE GEAR DID NOT GET SIDEWAYS
After that incident I described earlier ... I did a gear retraction test
(without the nose gear doors attached to the actuator).
What I found is puzzling: Somehow, my nose-gear-door-actuator got "out
of sequence".
When I raise the gear, everything works normally - the main gear goes
up, then the nose gear, then the
nose-gear-door-actuator engages to pulls the doors closed.
BUT ... when I lower the gear, the gear comes down and the
nose-gear-door-actuator doesn't pop out to open the doors until after
all the gear is down and locked?????
I have talked to some Velocity experts who have theories ... but I
thought I'd toss it up here for ideas.
How did that nose-gear-door-actuator get out of sequence only in the
"gear down" cycle.
Before you say "It's the sequencing valve" ... consider this: The set
screw fully engages and releases the sequencing valve properly. When
the gear comes up it compresses it to pull up the
nose-gear-door-actuator. When the gear drops it fully releases the
sequencing valve ... but when the valve is released it has no effect on
the nose-gear-door-actuator ... until the gear is down and locked.
I am sure this is what broke my rod end. The nose gear started to come
down and the doors were still being held closed.
Any thoughts?
Tom
N173EX
16 hours of flight ... and 32 hours of work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list