REFLECTOR: RE: NOSE WHEEL GOT SIDEWAYS

David Scharfenberg dave at winco.net
Wed Mar 9 23:12:08 CST 2005


Occasionally, my nose gear doors were closing BEFORE the nose gear was 
fully retracted.  This would cause the nose gear to hang out in a 
semi-retracted state.  The only clue was a paint mark on my landing 
light (nose gear mounted) and about a 35 knot penalty in cruise speed.  
On the second try, it would retract properly.  I had a slow hyd. fluid 
leak in the nose door cylinder for a long time.  When I rebuilt the 
cylinder, the retract problem went away.  I'm still not exactly sure 
why the leak would cause the retracting problem.

Dave Scharfenberg

N424DS

std/rg






On Mar 9, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:

> Something unusual happened to me today in flight ... but fortunately, 
> it
> didn't cause any major problems.
>
> I was doing touch-and-goes.  On my last take-off ... I noticed the 
> nose gear
> hadn't retracted.  So I lowered the gear (got greens) and landed.
>
>
>
> The nose gear door actuator has a "T" fitting screwed into the end of 
> the
> shaft which connects to the gear door rods (which open and close the 
> door).
>
>
>
> Either I retracted my gear too soon, or the nose fork is too tight on 
> the
> spindle.
>
>
>
> I'd think it unlikely you retracted the gear before the wheel left the
> ground (right??); and tight on the spindle should keep the wheel in a
> straight ahead position.  It could be the wheel hit something just as 
> it
> lifted, and got crooked; but check the force required to turn the 
> wheel and
> make sure it is within spec
>
>
>
> In any case; check the adjustment of the sequence valve.  The gear 
> doors
> should not actuate until the wheel is fully retracted.  If it gets 
> hung up
> you should get a 'gear unsafe' light; but at least you won't break 
> anything.
>
>
>
> It is great that the gear went down and you landed safely.
>
>
>
> Al
>
> <winmail.dat>_______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list