REFLECTOR: Suprise in my duct

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Jun 20 16:50:31 CDT 2005


It turns out the nose

wheel on an RG throws up A LOT of water that goes into

the keel as well as the front duct openings. 

 

I ended up putting drain holes at the

low point in the ducts (2 holes each duct), the low

points in the keel (4 holes), the low point in the

cabin floor (2 holes each side - just in front of rear

seats), the low point between the firewall and gear

bulkhead (2 holes), and the door "pockets" (1 hole

each). In most cases I used the pooled water to

determine where to drill. 

 

I'm thinking this is not just a simple matter of drilling all these holes,
and then filling and drilling in smaller holes, in ducts that already have
lots of wires and tubes in them. This is delicate surgery.

 

Shouldn't there be something about this issue in the construction manual -
Scott B.?

 

I recall advice that the firewall end of the ducts should be sealed off with
fire-resistant foam.  Perhaps doing the same (or some of that spray in foam
sealer) at the front would be a good idea as well.  The boot at the gear
pivot that Chuck Harbert showed us awhile back may be more important that
just keeping the cold air out.

 

Sounds like the RG nose wheel needs a fender.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050620/6b9da337/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list