REFLECTOR: Awlgrip Painting
Ron Brown
romott at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 19 20:08:53 CDT 2005
Scott,
I calculate that you painted 70 sq feet and that it should have used 0.35
gallon assuming 100% of the paint ended up on your canard and cowls. Not
too far off. Did you throw any away or did you keep shooting until your
half gallon was gone?
I'm planning to calculate how much paint I need by tracking the square feet
I will paint. Did the same thing when laying up cloth and epoxy - weighed
the cloth then with my electronic scales, mixed the same weight of epoxy - I
didn't throw away much!!!
The trick will be to see what the application efficiency is - how much paint
does it really take to cover per square ft?
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Awlgrip Painting
> Ron,
>
> I'm painting a Std and figured twice that amount of paint?
> It took a 1/2gal. mixed for me to paint my canard and the Cowls. maybe I
> waste a lot?
>
> Scott
>
> Ron Brown wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Lots of great information!!! Now you are making me nervous about
>> shooting it myself!!!! At $200 a gallon, I don't want to be "practicing"
>> too much with this stuff. But the boat folks say the Awlgrip is the
>> supreme paint for boats.
>>
>> Your wings are looking great!!!
>>
>> Are you using the standard reducer - T0003? Are you having to use any
>> other additives? You mention Florida several times - it can be just
>> about as hot and humid here in North Carolina this time of year. Did you
>> stick with Awlgrip's recommended maximum 50% RH - or have you been able
>> to establish a higher RH that you have been able to get away with?
>>
>> I think your statement "Coat continuation" means that you could paint a
>> portion of the a coat (like say the fuselage top), then remove the walk
>> boards, clean-up, and then continue completing the coat onto the strakes
>> and fuselage bottom, provided you don't wait more than about an hour to
>> continue on with the strakes and bottom. Otherwise, the paint "seam"
>> between the fuselage top and strakes will not blend together." is the
>> key to painting the top of the fuselage using a walk board, then the
>> sides. And bottom too. Perhaps I need to include the ability to lift the
>> nose and keep on shooting until the bottom is done too.
>>
>> I would ask you how many gallons you have used, but with reworking your
>> wing, your count probably won't help much. I think I will try painting
>> bottoms first - allows the wings to be kept flat with less runs. Like I
>> said, if it turns out too ugly, I'll get a pro to shoot the tops - but I
>> have built the whole thing so far (well I cheated and got fast build
>> wings and fuselage - I HATE SANDING AND FILLING - too many hours on sheet
>> rock - although I am getting much better at it!!!)
>>
>> The application guide says 210 sq feet per gallon of mixed paint and
>> converter and reducer. So measuring the surface areas, I get 2.2 gallons
>> of mixed paint or 1 gallon of color, one gallon of converter, and 1/2
>> gallon of reducer = 2.5 gallons. That's assuming using a good HVLP gun
>> and getting most of the spray on the surface. (173 standard fuselage
>> measures - approximately 475 sq feet).
>>
>> For those of you considering the Awlgrip system, there is an on line
>> Application Guide at http://www.awlgrip.com/pages/app_guide/chap1.htm
>> (One of the boat yards calls Awlgrip the Mercedes of marine paints).
>> Extremely tough and glossy with a long service life. But difficult to
>> repair scratches, etc.
>>
>> Ronnie
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list