REFLECTOR: Set-Up to Paint (Top of) Fuselage
Ron Brown
romott at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 18 20:43:43 CDT 2005
Hi Bob,
I'm also in the process of painting and I am going to use Awlgrip. My understanding is that you put on a second coat within an hour or so of the first. I was planning to use a couple of step ladders and a walk board over the strake, paint the top, then clean up the strake and paint the top of the strake and the rest of the fuselage. I don't think there will be any problems as long as the adjoining areas are painted in an hour or two of the last coat.
The product sheet says "Recoatability - spray applications consist of two to three coats applied over 1-4 hours."
Have you painted your wings yet?
My plan is to paint the bottom of each wing, one at a time. Then paint the bottom of the canard and cowls. Then the fuselage bottom. I am planning to tilt the fuselage up and let the back of the engine rest on a stool so that I can paint the bottom. I figure I can tilt the fuselage up about 45 degrees. Then depending on how lousy of a shooter I am, I'll shoot or hire someone to shoot the tops. Then the top of the wings and top of the fuselage.
Let me know - or I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it goes.
Anybody else that has been there - done that can chime in!!!
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Jackson
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders List
Cc: Bob Jackson (Home)
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:10 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Set-Up to Paint (Top of) Fuselage
Could someone give us some ideas on how you painted your fuselage, please? We've created a 'jig' to suspend (without gear) our plane in a wings level, or slightly nose-up or down attitude, but now we're wondering what kind of scaffolding arrangement others have created to allow them to reach and cover the very top of the fuselage. We're using AWLgrip, which is great paint if you can get it on, but it has to be put on in a single pass -- once it's on, you can't go back, sand out runs or blemishes or blend in a patch top coat in small areas.
Thanks,
Bob Jackson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050618/3e4f3752/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list