REFLECTOR: Nose wheel axle Part Duex

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Jun 17 13:06:30 CDT 2005


After spending two months repairing a nose gear up incident because the 
axle unscrewed I am not going to install the set screw in a way that 
doesn't positively lock down the axle.

The non-threaded end did stick out so I ground it off.

I think maybe I should return it for a properly made one.  Thing is, 
whats made wrong, the fork or the axle?

Scott

John Dibble wrote:

>Scott,
>I agree that it seems like the axle should be engaged in all the threads.  Mine is.  I
>would think that screwing it in all the way and ignoring the groove is a better way to
>go.  After all the important thing is that the set screw stays tight and if it
>doesn't, then it doesn't matter if it is in the groove or not.  Does your axel
>protrude beyond the fork on the non-threaded end?  If so, then that's a problem for
>retracting.  If not, then maybe your axle is too short.
>
>John
>
>Scott Derrick wrote:
>
>  
>
>>On a different but related thread..
>>
>>I installed a new fork and axle last winter.
>>
>>The new axle that came with the fork doesn't fit well.  If I line up the
>>groove so the 1st set screw locks into the groove, the threaded end is
>>only halfway engaged on the other tine of the fork.  I haven't counted
>>but I'd guess there are 6+ empty threads showing in the fork.
>>
>>Is this normal?  I would think you would want the axle threads engaged
>>in the fork close to 100% ???  1/2 seems way to few.
>>
>>Scott
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>    
>>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>  
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list