REFLECTOR: Bus, Battery & Back Order

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jun 15 15:16:25 CDT 2005


Terrance,

I'll go first to last.

I have to build my own engine mount.  I'm copying the factory's IO550 
mount for the overall design.  I'm on my 4th iteration for the mounting 
plates the lord mounts and engein legs bolt to.  Hopefully 4th times the 
charm.

I just got my basic exhaust back from Custom Aircraft for rebuild and it 
of course it looks better than new.  this is my 3rd exhaust system from 
them.  I'm glad Kurt admonished me for considering going to a local shop 
for this piece of work.  He knew I already knew about them as I 
recommended them to him  a couple years ago.  Once the basic engine 
mount frame is done I can fab a mockup of my exhaust-2-turbo section, 
send it to Clinton at Custom to make a real one.  Then I'll need an 
exhaust pipe from the turbo and wastegate but thats a no-brainier 6 inch 
straight pipe.

I love the Approach Hub stuff and wish my panel used it.  Maybe one of 
these days I'll retro fit it.

I am going to install a second battery, I'll need it to help with the 
CG.  I plan on setting up a very basic aux buss,  EI, EIS, panel lights, 
maybe the gps and com 1.

If I was starting from scratch I would absolutely go all electrical with 
a single alt, dual(aux) buss system...

Scott

Terrence Miles wrote:

>
> Hi to everyone but in particular to Brian, Keith, Al G, and Kurt who I 
> think are deep into wire issues.
>
> Here's what I got.
>
> For Electrics:  Here's my current plan and why.  Two big batts in the 
> nose.  One stacked on top of the other.  For now I am going to slap 
> the ground leads together and run them in parallel with B&C L60 
> alternator (60 amps) and the B&C external voltage regulator and the 
> o'volt protection.
>
> I may one day with not a lot of effort, put in a 2nd aux battery 
> contactor, but I see its practical value as limited due to what 
> follows next.
>
> I have decided in favor of a single power bus.  I can't see a strong 
> enuf reason to break things into separate buses to power up or shed in 
> event of alternator problems.  I will instead pull out a checklist and 
> do a load shed procedure at each components control head/ panel 
> switch/CB/whatever.  (Two mags, by the way until I have her in the air 
> and de-bugged)
>
> When I re-read the Nuckols stuff  on dual batt & single alt, I decided 
> it wasn't for guys like me.  I can put two equal amphr batts right 
> side by side...read no #2awg wires running all over hell.  I don't 
> have dual EI's.  Sure as sh--t the day I loss a alternator would be 
> the day the #1 comm would be TU and I have to repower the main load 
> buss to access #2 comm and get myself confused say 2 years down the 
> road by which time all the electron theory will be faded into dim memory.
>
> GRT stuff:  Single AHRS system, 2 screens, EIS in the radio stack, no 
> airspeed&Alt add-on to the EIS in favor of round dials below the GRT 
> screeens.  Decided basically to abandon the two spare power leads.  I 
> am told a solenoid controlled contact can draw an amp to 1.5 amps just 
> to hold closed, and the diodes will cost you a volt in pressure.
>
> Some of the above was driven by electrical abnormal checklist 
> drafting.  Some from the local tower operator/Cozy guy/ex USAF 
> avionics tech.  For backup, his personal philos is a bag of external 
> hand helds.
>
> What do you four think of this?  Anybody else want to chime in?
>
> I called Affordable panels this week.  He is an RV vendor...uses the 
> Approach Hub stuff.  He is very backed up.  I am looking to make the 
> major buy with Stein Air.  Anybody have any comments on him?
>
> Where's everybody else on this topic.  Are you guys going to wire up 
> your own intercomponents in the avionics rack?
>
> Last but not least...anybody else waiting for engine mounts and 
> exhaust systems besides me??
>
> Regards,
> Terry
>
> Regards,
> Terry
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list