REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 11:50:21 CDT 2005


Just some thoughts I have on this subject of welding parts that go on 
aircraft.  I had just got back from a flight and had taken the cowl off to 
add some baffles to #5&6 cylinders because they were running about 50 
degrees more then the rest.  The dog house over the engine comes directly 
straight down behind these cylinders.  I had put additional baffles on the 
heads but not on the barrels.   So I added the additional baffles and it 
worked, but that is not what I'm getting at.

When  I took the cowl off I looked over things like always just to see that 
everything is OK under there.  Well, I found that the bent washer that was 
welded on the left exhaust for the safety cable had cracked all around the 
weld and 3/4 around the pipe.  Once again I have found that just because it 
is TIG welded don't make it a good weld.  I took it back to the fellow that 
welded it and he said this always happens when he welds these aircraft 
exhaust.  I asked him if he had normalized it after he welded it.  He says 
he never does, TIG welding doesn't need it.  I told him he was wrong.  He 
took offence but re-welded it anyway. I then took it back to the hangar and 
took a torch to the welded area and normalized it. ( making it equal ) I'm 
sure it will not brake again.  It's all the same structure now.  I heat the 
whole area up to cherry red and let it cool very slowly.

I learned this way back when I took a welding class when I worked at LLNL 
dealing with exotic metals.  I had an exhaust pipe brake over Iowa on a trip 
to OSH a number of years ago and made an emergency landing at a small 
farming town.  A fellow took me into town and we found a place that welded 
up cattle ramps and gates.  They only had a MIG welder and I bolted the 
flange and pipe to a steel table and welded it.  I then took it back to the 
field and the fellow had a cutting torch that he used on the farm equipment 
and I normalized it to cherry red and let it cool and it never broke again. 
A good 1000 hours or more.   I took all the rest of the pipes off when I got 
home and went over the welds the same way.  They never gave me trouble.  Did 
the same on an engine mount that was TIG welded.  It was so hard after 
welding that I had to go over the areas I had to make wholes in just to 
drill into it.

Another time was when I came into the hangar after the day before just 
flying it to work and back the day before and finding the upper two Lord 
attachments broke and the engine hanging down so the prop looked like it was 
put on wrong.  Pushing the plane out of the hangar to start taking the 
engine off the two lower mounts broke when it went of the very small door 
tracks.

Called the company that built it and they said they always heat treat their 
mounts after TIG welding them.  I asked how high in temp they heat them too. 
They said 800F.  I didn't think this was enough for high carbon steel,4130. 
When I got the new one back I went over it with a torch again and I then 
could drill through the end tubes to mount it to my airframe. This was on my 
Long EZ.

So the issue I am trying to get across is, just because it is TIG welded and 
looks good, don't make it a good weld.  My first plane I built was a tube 
and fabric plane and every weld was normalized. Never had a crack once.  So 
when some one welds something for you make sure they do it right.  The way I 
checked for the consistency of a weld to base metal was with an  auto center 
punch  The weld and the base metal should be the same.  If not, it could 
fail in time.  They must be the same.  Especially with high carbon steels. 
It seems that TIG welding has become the norm now days because it looks so 
good.  But it is very centralized and this makes a weld very independent 
from the base materials.  So take this into consideration when using this 
technique of welding.  Also the issue of having the part ultra clean before 
welding.  Contaminants can do the same in weakening a weld.

Well I have gone on to long but just some thoughts when having some welding 
done for you.  A small weld can cause a big problem later.  As you have seen 
in your case.


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Velocity_AZ" <velocity_AZ at cox.net>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:09 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft


> Everyone on the Reflector -
>
> I just got back from the hangar and had inspected the plane more 
> thoroughly.
> The steel fitting that broke was an elbow fitting that was originally too
> long, was cut and welded.  It was welded by a professional aircraft welder
> and looks like it broke right at the weld.  The reason this fitting was
> shorten was to allow more clearance - it was originally rubbing against 
> the
> firewall.
>
> The welder feels that the fitting may have been broken during landing -
> currently, I don't think so.  However, I will pressure test the fuel 
> system
> to make sure there are no other leaks.
>
> My suggestion to others that have any welded parts in their aircraft - 
> have
> them tested (X-rayed, etc.) prior to first use.  This particular part was
> fine for over 2 years and 180 hours but was obviously an accident waiting 
> to
> happen.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Terry Miles
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:31 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft
>
> Kev,
> Good work.  I know what you mean about count your blessings.  Really glad
> that you're OK Terry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Alex Balic
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 5:04 PM
> To: velocity_AZ at cox.net; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft
>
>
> Hey Kevin-
> Glad you are OK, I am sure you did a great job on the dead stick
> landing- hope you are airborne again soon    :)
>
> Alex
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Velocity_AZ
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 12:41 PM
> To: amillin at sbcglobal.net; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft
>
> Andy -
>
> It's my plane - Deception - which is a 173 (standard fuselage with XL 
> wings
> - fixed gear)
>
> I called in for landing 20 out.  At 10 out, 3500-4000' decsending, I 
> smelled
> fuel.  Very shortly after that the engine quit.  I was extemely lucky that 
> I
> had that wash below.  I was only about 2000' AGL and decision time was
> extemely limited.  I touched down at one end of the wash with plenty of 
> room
> ahead.  The ground, while pretty level, was rocky.  She stopped in about
> 300' feet.  The universe also granted me a direct headwind.
>
> Wheel pants destroyed from the rough terrain - stress crack in gear - 
> don't
> know how deep (could be just be paint).  Minor fiberglass damage in lower
> cowl around exhaust and upper cowl at spinner and upper gear cuffs due to
> vibration on roll out.  There may be more damage to landing gear - just
> haven't examined it further yet.
>
> We should all take comfort in knowing that our Velocitys are strong.
>
> Here's something I'd like some feedback on from those flying.  Just a few
> weeks ago I was practicing engine out procedures and noticed that between
> 90-100kts my sink rate is 1000-1100' per minute.  Basically without the 
> big
> fan working - it's a rock.  What have others experienced?
>
> Upon taking the plane apart for transport yesterday, I did find the 
> problem
> - the fitting between the fuel hose and the throttlebody cracked. That's 
> why
> I smelled fuel and why the engine quit.  24 Gallons on-board can't really
> help if it's no longer making its way to the engine.
>
> All in all, yesterday was a very good day - no injury, it happened close 
> to
> home, the plane is in pretty good shape, she was due for her annual next
> month and she' already disassembled, and mostly - I writing this to you 
> guys
> now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Steiner
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Andy Millin
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 10:11 AM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: REFLECTOR: I don't know this aircraft
>
> No injury is good.
>
> ************************************************************************
> ****
> ****
> **   Report created 6/13/2005   Record 1
> **
> ************************************************************************
> ****
> ****
>
> IDENTIFICATION
>  Regis#: 111VX        Make/Model: EXP       Description: EXP- VELOCITY
> XL
>  Date: 06/12/2005     Time: 2349
>
>  Event Type: Incident   Highest Injury: None     Mid Air: N    Missing:
> N
>  Damage: Minor
>
> LOCATION
>  City: PEORIA   State: AZ   Country: US
>
> DESCRIPTION
>  PILOT REPORTED 20M W WITH INFORMATION. THREE MINUTES LATER PILOT REPORTED
> A
>  LOST ENGINE AND WOULD NOT MAKE THE ARPT. ACFT LANDED IN A WASH 12 MI WEST
>  OF ARPT
>
> INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   0
>                 # Crew:   1     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> Unk:
>
>                 # Pass:   0     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> Unk:
>
>                 # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> Unk:
>
>
> WEATHER: 122345Z VRB06KT/10SM CLR 34/04 2977
>
> OTHER DATA
>  Activity: Unknown      Phase: Cruise      Operation: General Aviation
>
>  Departed: UNKN                        Dep Date:    Dep. Time:
>  Destination:                          Flt Plan: UNK          Wx
> Briefing:
> U
>  Last Radio Cont: 12M W DEER VALLEY ARPT
>  Last Clearance: CLRD TO LND AY RWY
>
>  FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ  (WP07)                Entry date: 06/13/2005
>
>
>
> =========================================
>
> Andrew Millin
> Kalamazoo Software, llc
> 5585 Collingwood Dr.
> Kalamazoo  MI  49004
> (269) 345-2564
> amillin at kal-soft.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 





More information about the Reflector mailing list