REFLECTOR: Leveling the plane

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Jun 14 11:18:20 CDT 2005


I have a tiny level glassed inside the nose.

John

Joe Ewen wrote:

> Scott,
> Once I had my fuselage level in pitch, I put in permanent references for
> future use.  Once the lower cowl is cut away its hard to reestablish pitch
> level.  I made my reference points by drilling 1/4 holes in the fuselage
> side approximately 6" under the strake and 3' apart.  I then filled the
> holes with micro, after cure the center of the filled holes was drilled with
> a 1/8 bit (level to each other.)  Now when I want to put the fuselage in
> pitch level, I insert 1/8" bits into the holes (shank into hole) and rest a
> 4 foot level across the bits.
>
> For roll level I use a theodolite (a transit would work) and measure down to
> the top of wing bolts inserted into the upper outboard bushings in the
> spare.  Can read down to 0.005" from the horizontal plane.  Water tubes work
> pretty well but do not have as good an accuracy level.
>
> Joe




More information about the Reflector mailing list