REFLECTOR: Pat Shea's Air filter system

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Thu Jul 21 22:05:24 CDT 2005


Pat,

My filter box seems to have come out O.K. the first time, but I'd like a
little more detail (and a picture?) of the 3" fiberglass tube sticking into
the runner to provide the air to the induction system.  Precisely where does
it go through the runner, and at what angle?

Thanks,

Keith Hallsten


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Pat Shea
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:03 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pat Shea's Air filter

Keith,

It's custom, but more like a three-off as in it took
three tries to get it right. The filter box design is
similar to Jean Prudhomme's on TVBF:

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=engines%2Fplenum_jean_prudhomme

I didn't use his diaphragm design opting for a short
run of scat to the servo from the filter box instead.
Also, I'm pulling my induction air from the side of
one of my runners using scat again to connect to the
air filter box. Here's some good basic filter/plenum
box design info provided by Ellison:

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/FAQS/inlet.htm

At first, I only had the induction flange (essentially
a fiberglass tube) sticking into the runner about
1/2". This didn't provide any ram at Vne (at least it
was neutral - no loss). Now I've got it sticking in
about 3" and I'm getting about 1" ram at Vne. That's
w/ a filter. I'm going to pull the filter out and see
how much of a ram penalty I'm paying for filtration.  

Hope that helps, Pat

--- Keith Hallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com> wrote:

> 
> Pat Shea,
> 
> I see in that same set of photos that you have an
> air filter mounted low on
> the firewall.  I'm looking for something similar. 
> Is that some sort of
> reproducible product or a custom one-off?
> 
> Keith Hallsten, XLFG

> 


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





More information about the Reflector mailing list