REFLECTOR: Threaded hole strength - seat belt

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jul 21 09:28:14 CDT 2005


Okay, I'll bite. Now where are you using this plate and bolt in the 

airplane, because neither fine or coarse thread is going to be very strong 

going into only 1/4" aluminum?

 

Chuck H

 

One important place in our airplanes where we have small bolt (I think it is
5/16) threaded into ¼” aluminum, is the seatbelt anchors. The highest
loading would be on the ones on the keel side (standard 3-point restraint).
I have doubts that this anchor would handle the roughly 12-15 g loading that
I think a restraint system should handle (I don’t remember now where I got
that number).  The threads may not be the weak point; it may be the glass
plys holding the hardpoint.

 

I had discussed this with Mark Machado at Velocity some years back, and he
said they would do a test; but I guess that idea left when he did.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050721/81940aa7/attachment-0001.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list