REFLECTOR: Vortilions and/or VG's?
Jim Sower
canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 19 21:53:06 CDT 2005
My 173 with vortilons and lower winglets wallows a lot below about 85
kts. I carried 80 kts on final until I installed VGs. Went to 75 kts
final, 70 over the fence and 65 or less touchdown with what seemed like
about the same roll authority. I have since taken them off the main
wing (left them on the canard) and one of these days will put them back
on and do a more detailed before-after test. I also sealed my aileron
hinge gaps when I put on the VGs, and that has have a lot to do with the
improved in low speed roll authority.
It'll take some time to get decent test data for VGs and gap seals ...
Jim S.
Ron Brown wrote:
> I do have the lower winglets.
>
> I have the same wings as Jack so I think I will try flying without the
> VG's and Vortilions and see how it compares with VG's. My 173 handled
> well with the VG's on short final. I do lead with rudders when it is
> gusty or turbulent around the trees near the runway.
>
> I'll let you know my opinion in a week or two.
>
> Ronnie
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Sower" <canarder at frontiernet.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 5:28 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vortilions and/or VG's?
>
>
>> Oooops - I misread your message as NOT having lower winglets. Mea culpa
>>
>> Jack Sheehan wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe since I do have the lower winglets the vortilons would not
>>> have effect. I really don't have much experience in other Velocities
>>> but Scott Baker has flown mine and H e didn't think I was missing
>>> much or if he did he never said anything. The airplane takes a
>>> little rudder in the turns at about 90kts and lands fine at 80kts.
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list