REFLECTOR: Vortilions and/or VG's?

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 19 16:02:48 CDT 2005


Burt made vortilons mandatory fixes for both the EZ models.  IIRC it had 
to do with low speed controllability - severely reduced roll authority 
at landing speeds, and possible deep stall at modestly aft CG 
conditions.  I haven't flown without them, and I never will.  They cost 
you nothing at cruise airspeed and inhibits spanwise flow at low 
speeds.  I would never contemplate giving away what control I have over 
spanwise flow for minor cosmetic reasons.  In testing the Cozy, Nat also 
found that the lower winglets were also very significant in both low 
speed controllability and deep stall avoidance. 

Just my .02 ... Jim S.

Ron Brown wrote:

> I am just about finished painting my 173 Elite RG.
>
> I have 170 hours of flight using only VG's - no vortilions installed.  
> I removed the VG's to paint the plane.
>
> Anybody have any comments on flying without VG's or Vortilions?  Or if 
> both the Vortilions and VG's should be installed.
>
> My feeling is that my plane flew great with just VG's installed - but 
> I never flew it without VG's.  I installed them as soon as I got home 
> from factory Velocity transition training.  The trainer was a 173 and 
> it had VG's installed.  It flew GREAT!
>
> Thanks for your opinions!
> Ronnie
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list