REFLECTOR: Vortilions and/or VG's?

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 11:30:27 CDT 2005


Ron,

When I visited Velocity for my demo flight, I asked
why the standard aircraft had the VG's and Vortilons
installed and the XL didn't. The answer that I was
given, was that their standard aircraft was used
mostly for flight training, and that the flight
characteristics and control at slow airspeeds were
better with VG's and Vortilons installed. I was told
that the VG's on the canard lowered the stall
airspeed. I can't remember how many knots that I was
told it helped, seems like it was in the one to three
knot range. I was talking to Paul Baribault.

Andy Ellzey

--- Jack Sheehan <j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Ron,
> i can't speak for the 173 but on my XL-RG which I
> believe is the same 
> wing (if you are a LW) I do not have either VG's or
> Vortilons. i Have 
> never flown the airplane with them and have not
> gotten around to 
> installing them to find out if there is a
> difference. Airplane flies 
> great as is.
> -- 
> Jack Sheehan
> Executive Director
> National Consortium for Aviation Mobility (NCAM)
> Visit the following sites
> http://www.ncam-sats.org, http://www.sats2005.com,
> http://sats.nasa.gov
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list