REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim
Tom Martino
tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon Jul 18 07:47:34 CDT 2005
I am flying an Elite 173 (LW) RG
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Ewen
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 12:00 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim
Tom,
Thanks for your reply. May I ask what model you are flying?
Thanks,
Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Martino <mailto:tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 12:37 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim
I tried it and I did not like it. It is a great system design
and if it worked as intended there would be no doubt as to it's
validity. But here is the problem I ran into ... and I tried it several
different ways. In fact, Alex Strong agreed with me on the problem.
When you run your stick full fore or aft when it is trimmed (or
even in neutral) ... it does not "snap back" to the original position.
It gets hung up in the channel. That's because you have "up pressure"
trying to pull the carriage out of the track while at the same time
spring pressure trying to move it fore or aft.
I understand there is one Velocity user who loves it and has not
had this trouble. I had my installation looked at and I was doing it
correctly ... but it did not work out for me?
By the way ... I did have Alex design his motor-straight arm
system for my aileron. It has half the force of the trim spring. I
mounted it on the side of the fuselage and use it to move the aileron
bell crank to a specific roll trim position. I love it for roll trim
(but it only involves in-out pressures, unlike the trim pitch).
Tom
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:48 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim
Joe,
I have one, and I like it, but I'm not flying. Ask Dave Nelson
about it, he's been flying his for awhile and published in the Velocity
Views and Central States Newsletters about how much he liked it.
From an earlier Reflector post
"{DN} Scott, I'm a long way from being a builder. I actually
had several hundred hours of flying time on the factory design in my
aircraft before I did the panel upgrade. I found the original system to
be adequate, but hardly a "finer design feature". It was only after my
panel upgrade (and several hundred more hours of flying) - and -
numerous attempts to make the "stock" design work, that I started
working with Alex on a better solution.
I agree that many builders tend to over-over-OVER engineer and
debate things on this forum. That's one of the reasons that I'm a
lurker rather than a regular contributor. Quite frankly, endless
debates about stuff that works just fine as designed by Dan or by the
Swings bore the heck out of me. However, the stock pitch trim system
was not working adequately for me after my panel upgrades, and so I'm
mearly reporting on my solution. My motive for installing a different
pitch trim system is simple - the per plans setup was not satisfactory
for my particular aircraft.
One last comment; there's a big difference between building and
experimenting. I always tell people that talk about modifications to
think about how much of a test pilot do you really want to be? Food for
thought... the per-plans kit built airplane is a pretty well proven
design. However, for me, this isn't my first airplane project, and I've
got over 600 hours on it... so I hope you'll allow me to do a little
experimenting that maybe I wouldn't have chosen to do with less
experience.
BTW, I've got a sign on my office wall - it says:
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT:
Take FAST and make it FASTER
Take GOOD and make it BETTER
Dave"
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe" <jewen at comporium.net <mailto:jewen at comporium.net> >
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list"
<reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> >
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 10:01 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Strong Pitch Trim
> Does anyone currently monitoring Reflector and a Strong Pitch
Trim unit
> installed. If so I would like to know if you are satisfied
with the unit.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>
________________________________
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050718/4b4f5a0d/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list