REFLECTOR: Air Filter Box
Keith Hallsten
KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sat Jul 16 00:02:56 CDT 2005
Thanks Chuck, Ueli, and Pat (and Jean P., indirectly!) for sharing ideas on
an air filter arrangement.
I have decided to make a housing for a "ring" style filter, similar to
Pat's. Yesterday I picked up a filter designed for a Chevy pickup truck
with a V-8 engine - that style should be readily available for decades! I
shaped a "plug" from foam and have it all covered with release tape.
Tomorrow I'll lay up the fiberglass on it and see how it turns out! I am
trying for low velocities inside to minimize pressure drop and maximize
separation of rainwater, so it's pretty big (about 12 inches by 15 inches by
nearly 4 inches thick). However, I have all my fuel system components on
the cabin side of the firewall, so I think I have engine-side firewall space
for it. I'll feed it from the right duct and carry air to and from it with
3" scat tubing.
Hope to see many of you at Oshkosh!
Keith Hallsten, XLFG
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:41 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Air Filter Box
Keith, I was out at the plane today and took a few pictures of my air filter
box that I built out of thin SS. It's not too pretty, but it works. The
(appox 3" x 4") air inlet scoop feeds feeds a 3' aluminum tube that comes
up from the bottom of the plane and thru the firewall into the airbox. The
airfilter is a std aircraft filter from a 201/235 Mooney, as I recall
(approx 4" x 6"). I'm going to be turbocharging, so I needed to bring the
incoming air to the rear of the engine (turbo location) and then back to the
servo. It's 3" scat tubing your looking at. I had zero room between the
engine and firewall, plus I wanted a low drag nozzle under the plane (rains
a lot here).
If you are running a Bendix type servo system (not throttle body or carb)
you don't have to be so concerned with bends in the flow because all you're
moving and measuring is air, not fuel and air together.
Good luck.
Chuck H
> --- Keith Hallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Pat Shea,
>>
>> I see in that same set of photos that you have an
>> air filter mounted low on
>> the firewall. I'm looking for something similar.
>> Is that some sort of
>> reproducible product or a custom one-off?
>>
>> Keith Hallsten, XLFG
>
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050715/6924b16f/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list